New Public Heirloom Orchard Coming Soon!

Greetings All: I did not know what category to put this thread under, but yesterday I had a meeting with the executive director and the head gardener for the Botanical Garden of the Coastal Plain which is part of Georgia Southern University. The garden was originally an old farm with a camellia collection in the front yard under a grove of magnolia and American holy trees. The farm which was located next to the university was willed to the university under the condition that the farm house and camellia collection was preserved. The university has since converted the whole thing to a botanical garden. They have since added a native plat garden, and native rhododendron garden, and a vegetable garden and sugarcane patch.

The original horse stable has been preserved and is very much part of the display. A historic one room school house has been moved to an old agricultural field behind the horse stable. Now the next component being planned for the botanical garden is to plant a fruit orchard in the agricultural field between the school house and orchard.

They invited me in to ask my advice about what they should do for an orchard. I suggested two things which they really liked. One is an exhibit of heirloom pear tree varieties that either were available to Georgia farmers 50+ years ago and varieties where the original mother tree was originally found growing at a farm or home site in the deep south. In the display, historical plaques telling the history of each variety would be part of the exhibit.

The second idea they liked was the idea of creating a collection of Chickasaw plum varieties that were developed and handed down by farmers in the Deep South. A lot of these strains of Chickasaws were never commercially available, so developing this collection will involved finding private people who have had a good strain of Chickasaw plum handed down to them and adding a root sucker to the collection. An important part of the exhibit when it can be accomplished will be to have a plaque explaining the history of the plum or at least some information of where it originated.

Part of the future goal will be for the garden to be a future source of scion wood or live plants for home gardeners and heirloom fruit collectors in the deep south. We discussed the possibility of developing educational programs about growing fruit which will better connect the garden to the education mission of the university.

I’m sure there will be interest in adding other fruit trees, especially heat and humidity hearty heirloom varieties with a historical connection to the deep south, especially Georgia. The garden has asked me to help with this project and to especially help them track down and evaluate possible entries into their orchard collection.

I’m sure that the next steps in the process of developing an heirloom and historic southern fruit collection will be fundraising and developing relationships with heirloom fruit collectors and fruit grower organizations. I’m also sure that there will be lots of opportunities for members of this online community to help with this project.

19 Likes

Fantastic! Love that you are doing this. I would definitely make a trip to see this orchard and the camellias. Please keep us posted on the progress.

1 Like

Winns Mill Nursery in GA has a lot of heirlooms but for some reason I can’t get their website to come up. They are on Facebook though, not sure what happened to their website.

Also Jim Lawson (now retired from Lawson’s Nursery) in Ball Ground, GA has a Georgia heirloom encyclopedia in his head.

1 Like

Thank you for the information

Here are some photos from the botanical garden:

The above in the entrance gate.

A grove of hawthorn trees that make up part of the native garden.

The Bland farmhouse.

Dan Bland’s rare camellia collection. Many of the hundred year old camellia bushes are now gone. If anyone would like to donate a rare or unusually camellia bush to add to the collection, I’m sure the garden would love it. Personally I think the camellias look stunted from too much shade from the magnolia and American holly trees.

The proposed location for the heirloom fruit orchard.

5 Likes

@coolmantoole How has the preservation orchard progressed this year? Very interested in your Chickasaw Plum collection idea.

One thing to be aware of is that wild Chickasaw plums are considered a reservoir for Phony Peach disease and to a lesser degree Peach Rosette. Not a big deal if you never plan to grow peaches at the orchard, but just wanted to mention it.

1 Like

It’s still in the plans. Right now Georgia Southern University is going through a major restructuring and the confusion that’s slowing the progress with the Botanical Garden.

I would think it would be a good idea to focus on getting root stock right now. Non Chickasaw rootstock would let you know when a graft fails due to the different fruit production. That and American plums can be very shrubby which is great but you can coax more tree like growth with the right root stock. Even if all the ducks are not in agreement early next year for grafting 2 years in the ground would be great for root development.

The fruit orchard is part of a major garden redesign, and I personally don’t have space in my orchard to nurse young trees in. I’m not one of the main decision makers even though I will be providing a lot of coaching once we get to the implementation phase of the project. I don’t have enough of a sense of the timeline or budget to buy stuff just yet.

Nice to know they asked for your input.

You gave them some good ideas!

1 Like