Oncidium orchid "Pacific Sunset"

Today I added this orchid from Cal Pacific Orchid Farm to my collection.

7 Likes

Very nice orchid,lot of flowers, beautiful! Love the color too. How large is your orchids collection?

Flower Show perfect!

1 Like

Just four: dendrobium, phalaenopsis, epidendrum, oncidium.

1 Like

wow,…I will not start growing orchids again,I will not start growing orchids again,I will not start growing orchids again,I will not start growing orchids again,sorry almost had a relapse :slight_smile: .seriously beautiful.

2 Likes

Here’s the nighttime view.

This year’s mid-summer night dream :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Prior to our 1-week vacation, these orchids had put out four 6" to 18" flower spikes. Now they are 16" to 32" high and sporting branches! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very healthy looking orchid.pleas post it when it is blooming

1 Like

grow orchids in Chicago is challenge because of long winter and dry air indoor. But still some will reward me with beautiful bloom.share few orchid pictures that are currently blooming

IMG_20180302_100830305_HDR
IMG_20180302_100019859

5 Likes

Our “Pacific Sunset” orchid flower buds are now opening :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Coming right along :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The flowers are open on three of the four staked spikes … and there are four more spikes coming up on the opposite side of the pot. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That is lovely. I discovered the discount orchid rack at the local greenhouse. It’s been a long problem…

1 Like

Still going crazy. To the lower right are a few sweet potato starts.

4 Likes

@Richard, what’s the humidity in your orchid room? And temperature range? How can you get such gorgeous bloom! I am seriously envious here.

1 Like

Typically ~40%. But the “roots” are in 1/4" orchard bark that is soaked (immersed) once a week for an hour then drained.

I have small 1400 sq.ft. home with central A/C and heating although room to room it can vary by a few degrees. Year-round that room stays between 65°F and 78°F. It is east facing.

I have posted a link elsewhere on this site to an orchid guide I wrote awhile back but it needs a few updates. Please send me a round-to-it or two so I can get that done.

In the meantime here’s an update on this orchid – the quantity of blooms is about to double.

1 Like

Richard, it’s gorgeous! What type of orchid fertilizer do you use and how often?

I have been soaking my orchid for years. And has followed you regimen using the fertilizers in your guide since last year. It improved a lot, but still nothing like what you have.

Maybe it’s the humidity. In the winter time, I can barely keep it up at 30%.

1 Like

You are talking about this guide, right?

1 Like