Orchard road trip!

Guess that’s the problem with being a border state. Too hot for northern stuff, too cold for southern stuff. I won’t have that problem after the move; no one debates whether Georgia is in the South!
Soil type in KY can be really patchy too. Just on our acre, the pH varies from 6.5 - 5.5.

1 Like

Yes pH just on our farm is varied, the higher up on the hill you go the lower the pH gets. We had soil samples done, and up here by the house it’s 4.9, with very low nutrient levels, so it required a lot of amendments, especially lime. I put down almost 200# of the stuff in a 2000 sqft plot, and about a 50lb bag of 10-10-10.

Down by the old house the plot pH was 6.5, and the nutes were very high, so it didn’t need that much amendments. We have beans and corn there this year, and they’re doing great.

We planted blueberries in a plot with a pH of 4.9, so no sulfur necessary, but I did have to give the plants some N for acid loving plants.

2 Likes

OK, here are the pics I promised, sorry for them being so late.

Inside their store, selling some apples, with preserves on shelves.

The inside of their “netting tent” where some of their blueberries are:

A view from outside. That’s some serious protection!

Some apples, I think they are Sansa

A view down one of many rows of apples

A view of some massive blackberry rows, they are at least 6ft high, with huge berries

Their beautiful peach orchard, unfortunately they got hit with a late freeze and lost about 90% of their fruit:

12 Likes