Our latest project. ...Persimmons!

Hubby decided to diversify, and liked the suggestion of growing Persimmons.

We found a source for rootstock, and have D lotus, and American persimmon rootstocks ordered. We also found a scionwood source (Burnt Ridge) that has many varieties offered.

We have zero experience with any of these, and plan to try most of them, and find out what we like. We would definitely appreciate suggestions, and would be happy to pay for scion from members here.

We are in zone 8a…but on the cooler side of that.
Varieties that sound interesting that Burnt Ridge does not have are.

Chocolate
Giombo
Hachiya
Nikita’s Gift
Prok
Rosseyanka

I have read so many variety descriptions, they are all starting to blur, never mind that I have no idea how to pronounce most of these names. At least that only shows up if I speak! Lol

Thanks in advance for all advise and suggestions.

Jolene

2 Likes

I’m actually not a big fan of persimmons, but my family loves them. The gold standard (for them) is Hachiya (ha-CHEE-ah). It’s acorn shaped and is ripe when soft. They’re sort of mess to eat, often done with a spoon. Extremely tart when underripe, but sweet when very soft and ripe. I believe the chocolate is like that. I am planting a Hachiya in the next couple of days, but I’m doing it for mom.

The other kind of persimmon is the Fuyu type, which is crunchy and can be eaten out of hand like an apple. Honestly, I know less about these since, again, I’m not a big fan. But these are the two types (unless the Russian ones are a third kind). So it depends what you are after.

1 Like

I love persimmons and used to grow a few varieties in Houston. Hachiya and Saijo are excellent! I never cared much for the non-astringent ones like Fuyu (they tasted better to me when soft-ripe, but not as complex as the astringents). I have yet to taste an American persimmon but that’s all I can grow now. Good luck!

We had a male and female persimmon here, of unknown variety. They were where we wanted to plant other things, and were removed about five years ago. The kids loved them when ripe, and loved giving them to their friends unripe! LOL

Most of us have never really had many of the cultivars I’m reading about, and I’m sure it will be an adventure in taste trying them all in a few years.

I’m still looking for Hachiya, but am pretty happy with the selection we will have to graft this year.

D Lotus is supposed to be pretty good for Asian Persimmon, but I read in this article (http://www.lecooke.com/le-cooke-blog/kaki-vs-lotus-rootstock-for-fuyu-persimmon.html) that Izu, and Matsumoto Wase Fuyu do better on D Kaki.

I then read this (http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/fruit-nut/files/2015/04/persimmons_2015.pdf) about growing Asian Persimmon in Texas, and thought since they were recommending American Persimmon rootstock for basically all varieties in Texas, it might be a better choice, especially for those that the le cook article said were less suited to D lotus.

There is always something new to learn. Comments and suggestions are very welcome. This is all fairly new to me.

I started four persimmons from seed this spring.

5 Likes