Painting trunks for sunburn and rodents

I just threw up in my mouth thinking about rotten eggs mixed with rotten blood. I bet the flies are everywhere when you start spraying this stuff.

1 Like

Ya, no kidding. Makes a fence sound like a really great idea.

I’m not sure about jack rabbits but Kansas cottontails eat a lot of dandelion greens. Having eaten plenty myself I know they are pretty bitter. The greens they claim are good for your organs and perhaps rabbits know that. They love elm trees so when the snows are bad and they are starving I drop some elms so they leave my fruit alone.

1 Like

The flies do enjoy the aroma. Here’s a quick tip. If the dogs find the scent appealing, let it rot a bit more. When it’s ripe even dogs find it disgusting.

1 Like

This is the paint I’ve been using. Everything is covered in frozen ice now so I didn’t get that paint on a moment to soon.

I would get you a good pair of jersey gloves when you put the paint on. Kansas wind storms paint me about as much as I get on the trunks. A lesson you would think I should have learned by now. One thing about Kansas don’t bother to wait for the wind to stop blowing or you might never get anything done.

1 Like

Clark you can use brush and not your hand :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Lol Drew51 glad I couldn’t get the mower running.

Ha! Speaking of mower’s mine is put away for the winter, we got snow the other day. I told the wife I was going to cut the grass one more time. I was born a wise ass I guess!

1 Like

Clark,
This was what I used. I hope it was the right kind.

I got it on my clothes, not a wise move. Hard to wash off.

1 Like

Mamuang,
Looks good to me. I make sure it’s latex and they don’t throw extra stuff in it. Exterior is fine to as long as it’s just water based plain old paint. Yes I always wear clothes I don’t care about. It sure makes the trees look nice even though we know that’s not the purpose.

How high up do you paint the trunk of say a six foot young tree with first branches at 30 inches?

I would go 24- 30" up. When you go up to the first set of branches you have covered the most likely spot to get sunburned.

1 Like

Clark, thats like waiting for a dry day here, in fall. Probably wont happen. Your hand looks like mine when I paint,

Matthew, I need to keep your recipe in mind. I try to fence everything but those deer are sneaky.

1 Like

They have a product at Home Depot to get latex paint off of clothing. Don’t remember the name of it. :sob:

1 Like

Goof-Off is the name of a product which will take some paint and adhesives off. I haven’t used it for paint, but it did great on removing the left over glue when taking bumper stickers off.

1 Like

MEK is the strongest solvent I use (methyl ethyl ketone - available at any hardware store) although paint remover will remove some things MEK won’t, if it sits on there for 1/2 hour. MEK will rapidly remove more things than acetone (which is the active ingredient in fingernail polish remover).

I think hot peppers have potential to reduce animal feeding (Even grizzly bears are somewhat repelled by bear mace.) But I suspect something really bitter would also reduce feeding.

I’ve found simple painting the trunks w/ latex will reduce rabbit gnawing, but we don’t have too much rabbit pressure here.

My kids showed me a video the other day of some guys eating a Carolina Reaper. Painful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb-QVfwCmYg

3 Likes

LOL! You know when you cut one of those CR peppers open you can smell them in the air immediately and it gags you instantly unless you have a mask on, these are not toys! I can’t wait to grow more, I have some new ones and actually a bunch of sweet peppers I want to try next year. I will be growing a lot more peppers than tomatoes next year.
I still have a few bell pepper type plants in the garage with about 6 peppers on them. I think I’m going to leave the plants, and see if they can survive the winter in the garage.

1 Like

I have quite a few young trees, all less than 2 years old and I’d like to make sure they’re adequately protected from the scorching Florida sun. If I’m reading this correctly folks are painting with either a latex based or water based with a 1 to 1 water to paint ratio, is that correct? Should I wait until the trees break dormancy to paint, or does that not matter? Thanks.

I can’t imagine it would make a difference. I started out painting trunks to avoid SW winter injury, but quit years ago and not noticed any SW injury or sunscald on trunks in my area, but have had some sunscald on scaffolds, if I prune too aggressively in the summer.

Last fall I painted some trunks on very young trees because I noticed rabbits were really gnawing up peach prunings. I’ve had decent luck painting trunks w/ straight latex paint to discourage rabbits from gnawing them, but in my part of KS/MO we generally don’t get snow coverage which lasts for weeks and weeks as some areas do.

1 Like

thanks…fortunately we don’t have to worry about snow down here…but the sun is a different story…guess I can test it out with some straight latex and see what happens.