Passiflora edulis "Frederick"

The vine has been growing about 6" to 8" a day lately, so it was time to cut it back before it enveloped the house :wink:

The trimmings fill 3 95-gallon containers – about 1.5 cubic yards :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Looks like I’ll be making Passionfruit-Lime-Garlic basting sauce soon. :smiley:

4 Likes

Skinless, boneless chicken thighs “under the influence”

2 Likes

I bet those are going to be delicious! I can practically smell them from poway :grinning:

1 Like

Wow thats impressive! Is it possible to root a new plant from cuttings?

If it’s anything like maypop, it can be rooted from cuttings. It will also send up countless suckers which can be dug up and moved.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m not sure I’d call mine impressive in this location. The base has grown to be at least an inch in diameter. I’m not going out in this rain to see just how thick. The vines have grown like gangbusters, thick and lush, especially this year with its larger root system, even considering our lack of rainfall and limited watering. It would be fantastic if all I expected was thick vine coverage.

The problem is that I’m growing it primarily for the fruit It’s been uncooperative in that regard. Each year it has flowered in the spring without setting. It has stopped flowering during the heat of summer while we’ve been stuck in the upper 90’s and low hundreds with warm nights. Then gone back to forming and developing flower buds once our highs start getting down to mid to lower 90’s. Those set fruit, but take too long to ripen as we enter autumn sunlight. I wind up with still green, unripened fruits. I’m giving it one more year to become productive. If it’s still too finicky next year, I’m leaving it out unprotected to “test” its survival skills. :imp: Your area may be less hot and more conducive to summer flowering. The naturalized vines flower and set during more of the summer, although some of those, but not all, did succumb to our stronger drought this year.

Vine cuttings can probably be rooted. I haven’t attempted, and don’t know whether the variety is under patent.

Yes, Passiflora edulis “Frederick” can be rooted from cuttings – but no, it does not send up suckers in my experience.

They root pretty easily even without rooting hormone (about 50% success rate), just stick cuttings into potting soil and keep it damp and wait 1-2 months.

Are you referring to Passiflora incarnata (maypop), or Passiflora edulis (passionfruit), or both ?

Only Edulis (Frederick), got no experience rooting incarnata.

1 Like

It’s been raining passionfruit around here lately.

6 Likes

More “rain” today. :wink:

4 Likes

8 Likes

Got passionfruit? :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Yup :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Wow!

It’s been raining passionfruit lately …

9 Likes

Those are some of my all time favorite Fruits! Oh I wish I could grow them. Not until I move! They are beautiful.

2 Likes

I’m going to have to get a mate for this one.

5 Likes