Paulk Muscadine

Does anyone know where I can buy this new variety?

Any other recommended muscadine varieties or grapes that do well near Dallas, Texas?

Any other fruit vines worth growing in my part of Texas? Tree space is pretty much taken, but I have plenty of fence space for some vines.

1 Like

Says it’s hardier than Supreme but is there any chance this could work in 6A

Where can this variety be purchased? I live in New Mexico. Thank you.
Leon

It looks like GA 6-2-26 was released as Paulk. There is a possibility it was another numbered line.

From what I can see, Ison’s is trying to get starts this year. Paulk vinyards has bearing vines as part of the trial.

http://www.caes.uga.edu/content/dam/caes-website/extension-outreach/commodities/muscadine-grape-breeding/docs/advances-in%20-muscadine-breeding-efforts-at-UGA.pdf

2 Likes

Bottoms Nursery is usually one of the first to offer the UGA releases.

http://www.bottomsnursery.com/muscadine%20grapes.htm

1 Like

I guess it is just too new to be out this growing season.

I spoke with Greg Ison today and was told that he will ship me one vine of Paulk which should arrive in a week or so. It will be about 20 inches tall and will require babying to get through winter. He stated that he has set aside a couple hundred Paulk vines for individual sales. I can’t say if he will ship any more this year, but if you want a vine, you should be able to get them next fall.

2 Likes

Just an FYI to folks. It looks like Ison’s has Paulk for sale now. Unfortunately, I have entirely too many vines now to go buying another.

3 Likes

And that price includes shipping

1 Like

I would also like to have Paulk mainly due to it being self fruitful. If you review the ison spec sheet it doesn’t appear to be any better quality fruit than Supreme or Black Beauty. One item stood out to me on the down side was the brix level of only 19. This is only based on my opinion but you might be better off with S or BB.

2 Likes

Yes but it is self fertile. I have supreme and I love it. I have what is supposed to be BB but I think not because it is average. I neede another sel fertile to put on this trellis with supreme.

1 Like

I’m convinced Ison is the best self fertile available at this time. Time will tell with Paulk. Perhaps it will beat Ison. Perhaps not.

Here is a list of self fertile varieties worth taking a look at.

|Delicious|Purple|Early-Mid|Large|
|Granny Val|Bronze|Very Late|Large|
|Hall|Bronze|Early|Large|
|Ison|Purple|Late|Large|
|Janet|Bronze|Late|Large|
|Lane|Black|Early|Large|
|Nesbitt|Purple|Midseason/ Late|Large|
|Polyanna|Purple|Late|Large|
|Southern Jewel|Purple|Early|Large|
|Tara|Bronze|Early|Large|
|Late Fry|Bronze|Late|Very Large|

1 Like

Just got my

3 Likes

After watching my self fertile Lane set a big crop of berries recently and wondering if my Supreme and Black Beauty would pick up enough pollen I’m leaning toward adding Paulk. I guess this is long winded way of saying I was mistaken and that if I had room for more muscadine vines Paulk would now be at the top of my list. Looking forward to hearing how well it performs. Bill

1 Like

Not mistaken, just need more room to plant muscadines! :slight_smile: :smiley:

2 Likes

Paulk is still pretty hard to get. I got ONE from Ison’s this year. Several of the ones on Facebook say their Paulk has died and mine has suffered but seems to have turned the corner and growing okay right now. At least it’s putting out some new tiny leaves.

2 Likes

Anybody tasted it?

1 Like

No kidding, I’m planting mine along my cattle panel fence lines. I’m squeezing them between my pecan and chestnut trees. It will be many years before these trees reach a point to impact the muscadine. For me, they are the most consistently flavorful fruit I currently grow.

1 Like

I want to buy paulk muscadine . Please provide some web links or information.
thank you very much!

Nobody has it. Isons had a limited quantity. There are plenty that would be just as good. Best to talk to somebody who has tried a new fruit first as the marketing hype will always say it is the best.