Pawpaw in Kansas - it's a lot of work but can be done!

I’m not seeing any pawpaw seeds sprouting yet and wondered if anyone else is getting sprouts yet?

I remembered one time that it took a good couple of months before the tip poked through the top soil. The tap root tends to grow first.

Tony

1 Like

When i sprouted a bunch of pawpaw seeds two and three seasons ago, the root would grow for a few weeks before the top part grew at all.

1 Like

It’s nearly that time again and I must admit I’m looking forward to some good pawpaws after all these pears!

3 Likes

This weekend we will go to our pawpaw spot and we expect it will be a decent harvest again. The severe drought had an impact on everything.

3 Likes

Halvin is almost ready.

Susquehanna

Shenandoah

Wabash

Seedlings

10 Likes

Perfect looking pawpaws Tony! How do you keep them looking so nice until they are ripe? Excellent!

1 Like

All the fruits kind off hidden by all the large droopy leaves. The fruits will drop on the lawn when fully rippened. I also do a little light squeeze to check for a little give and pick them because at this stage the fragrance is not too intense. I can also let them ripen on the counter if needed to.

Tony

2 Likes

Tony,
How does Halvin compare with the Peterson Pawpaws in flavor?I’ve read good reports and that the mother tree isn’t around any more.Brady

Halvin is real large and as tasty as the Peterson’s pawpaw collections. That was a good find by Tyler Halvin. It is a keeper.

Tony

2 Likes

How is the ripening time of Halvin compared to your other varieties?

Shenandoah is about 1 1/2 weeks before Mango the Halvin is a week 1/2 behind Mango. So Halvin will ripen here in Omaha Z5 around September 14.

Tony

3 Likes

Wild pawpaw are very late this year. Still going to be a few weeks

4 Likes

Clark,

In the late Fall, you should dig some pawpaw suckers and plant them along your ponds and graft some good, tasty, and large varieties in the following Spring.

3 Likes

I agree Tony that’s a great idea!

1 Like

Have flowers on one bush but as you all know it wont do me any good.

Hi I’m new here but I live about an hour and a half south of Kansas City about 10 miles from the Missouri border on the Kansas side. I always thought paw paw and persimmons were native trees because they both grow locally and wild. The paw paws grow up and down the small rivers and the persimmons grow in more rocky plain type areas. You have to be pretty fast to get any fruit off of them though because the raccoons love both and eat them up fairly quickly.

5 Likes

In your area and in a few other areas they grow easily. Areas like coffeyville kansas are the perfect climate. As yiu already mentioned these locations near Missouri in most cases are ideal.
The majority of Kansaz its vefy diffivult to grow pawpaw and persimmon. They are native to.parts of the state.

3 Likes

Are the trees you planted by the ponds still doin well?

3 Likes

That’s interesting I could see that growing the paw paws away from a moist area could be difficult but the persimmons are kind of a nuisance around here. They spread like crazy, not quite as bad as the black berries, but enough that some me people consider them a real nuisance. A lot of the local people actually open up the seeds to see what kind of winter we are going to have. Some nonsense about fork or spoon but it is just another old wives tale. I would have guessed the persimmons would grow all over Kansas be because they seem to like rolling, rocky, native grass locations in open fields. I wonder if the native varieties would do better in your location than the commercial varieties?

3 Likes