Pawpaw ripening order

The other day I asked @tonyOmahaz5 for the ripening order of his Pawpaws, and I noticed someone else asked him the same question today. There seems to be very little information on the internet about the ripening times/order of pawpaws. With the other fruits I’ve been obsessing over like apples, peaches, or blueberries there’s tons of information (some of it conflicting), enough that you can come away with a general idea of what to expect. But with the paw paw I have a hard time finding anything. Today I found this small bit of information from the University of Missouri:

Ripening order
– Early ripening – PA Golden, 10-35
– Mid season ripening – Overleese, NC-1,
Shenandoah, Sunflower
– Late ripening – Susquehanna, Wells

Maybe you all can be of help for people who are still planning their Pawpaw patch and would like a long harvest season. When do your different pawpaw varieties ripen?

4 Likes

This is good info for folks trying to grow these in short season locations-like me-thanks!

1 Like

Just got this info ,has ripening dates for some varietys. In table 2
We need a more complete list

Journal of the American Pomological Society 62(2):58-69 2008
The Kentucky Pawpaw Regional Variety Trial
KIRK W. POMPER1, SHERI B. CRABTREE2, DESMOND R. LAYNE3, R. NEAL PETERSON4, JOSEPH MASABNI5, and DWIGHT WOLFE6

Can someone post a more proper link to this info, I don’t know how?

1 Like

That interactive fruit maturity chart on your website is amazing! Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for this! I didn’t notice that you had replied until Zafak replied. Not much of a variance in ripening time for paw paws, it seems.

2 Likes

@ILParadiseFarm I just wanted to let you know that I linked your chart in another thread and it has received some feedback from people who have compared it with their local harvest dates. Perhaps this can help with your improvements:

1 Like