Peach time!

Sara,

Itā€™s probably not Redhaven either. Redhaven generally has a little more yellow background cover. Plus I think Redhaven has already harvested, even in your area.

Btw, So glad you are have such good success with peaches. As I recall, you were having some real challenges growing peaches for several years on the old fruit forum. Perseverance in fruit growing wins again!!!

3 Likes

Iā€™m seeing a bit of this as well. Not just for bug damage, but the size is much better too. I have a 3rd year Loring tree which produced a massive amount (compared to what Iā€™m used to) of perfect and large fruit. Iā€™m not sure if it has more to do with where the tree is (right next to the driveway), the variety, or luck. I lost a few to brown rot, but unlike with TangO, it doesnā€™t spread through the tree like wildfire.

This pic shows the 3+" size that some are attaining. The size is as big or bigger than the Costco peaches my wife likes. I think this is the first time (other than maybe jujubes) she has been impressed with the fruit Iā€™m growing.

Heavy on the treeā€¦

I think Iā€™ve got about 2 weeks before my Elberta fruit will start to ripen. Itā€™s also a 3 year old tree, a couple spots over from the Loring (also next to the driveway).

I think I really need to add some more early peaches.

My biggest/heaviest bearing peaches are all within about 3 weeksā€¦
Loring- ripe
Contender- very soon
White River- maybe a week from now
Elberta- 2 weeks
Carolina Gold- 2-3 weeks

Until now, all Iā€™ve had was a few Carmen (very nice- this was the one which got rave reviews from co-workers, when they sampled 4 kinds), White Lady, a few TangO which didnā€™t rot and 1-2 PF1.

I also had 2 peaches about a week ago which were very good, but I lost the label on the graft. Itā€™s on the dying PF1 tree, so Iā€™m hesitant to graft it to another stock (not sure what is killing the PF1, but donā€™t really want to spread it). High flavor and 15-16 brix. Edit- could be John Boy, based on what part of the tree it was on, the color, and the season.

12 Likes

Are peaches flavorful enough to make a good jam? So far, black currant, boysenberry, and elderberry seem to make the best jams for me.

I do have extra peaches though, so Iā€™m not opposed to trying. Do you use dead-ripe peaches, or those that are still firm? Do you cut them into small pieces before cooking or just quarter them? Any other hints?

1 Like

For me yellow peaches make good jam, white peaches come out very sweet and not as good of flavor. One of the best batches of jam I made a few years back was made from a few yellow peaches, a few nectarines, and a few pluots. It made a great tasting jam.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve made it with slightly under-ripe, and dead ripe Redhaven so far this year and I would highly recommend using dead ripe peaches. I made some with diced peaches and I also diced some and then used a potato smasher to smash them up as good as I could prior to cooking. I much prefer the smashed up peaches in jam. I donā€™t know what it is, but it seems to release some additional flavor/aroma things in the peaches. I just think itā€™s almost night and day difference to me anyway.

Here are the peaches after blanching with the skins removed that I made jam out of a couple days ago.

And hereā€™s a few jars I made last night to see how it looks in the jars.

19 Likes

Dead ripe has always worked better for me as the flavor is stronger. No brown bits though. I also remove the skin. For apricots I leave the skin on. So good! :peach:

5 Likes

I have good news to report back, I made $16 from my beautiful peaches! I am getting rich!!!:stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

Yesterday morning, husband and I were having breakfast at a diner, it occurred to me to check the nearby Chinese grocery store if they want peaches. They said they will sell for me.

We were so excited that we rushed home and packed a box delivered to store.
A few hours later, we couldnā€™t help ourselves and went back to see how well it sell. And found out I made $16! I fell so richā€‹:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

After deducting gas money for the two round trip to the grocery store, I net $11. Enough to by one bottle of captan! Hahaā€¦

My peaches before leaving home

My peaches at store. About 18-19 lb

A few hours later, still some left.

My first $16 ever from fruits, should I frame them?

23 Likes

IDK about framing the cash, but I think you got took!!! Iā€™m still not over how pretty those peaches are. I donā€™t know if I could have parted with them at any cost!!! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Bob, your peach looks really nice! Glad that it gets your wifeā€™s approval.

I am surprised that your Elberta is still 2 weeks away. Mine is almost ready now. And you are in 6-7 zone, slightly higher than my zone 6.

1 Like

They are very beautiful, arenā€™t they! :blush:
I still have plenty left. That box is only about a quarter of what I picked from that tree in two days(Friday and Saturday) I still have plenty left on the tree.
Because of the bad weather last year, none of my peach tree produced much. So this year, they over produce.
Donā€™t think I will get this many peaches next year.

Your blanched peach and jam looks sooo good

2 Likes

Agree with your accessment about white peach and yellow peach. My georgia bell white peach is sweeter, but this yellow peach has much more flavor.

2 Likes

Sarah
$1.69/ lb of hompe grown, picked at peak time is soooooo chaep.

The supermarket peaches around here charge that much and they are not even edible.

BTW, a Vietnamese grocery store near me keeps telling me to bring in my Asian pears to sell. I gave the owners samples a couple of years ago. They love it, much sweeter than their Asian pears they are selling.

I have never had enough to sell. Family, friends, neighbors, coworkers, etc. Also, they want large pears. Korean Giant can be large but I would need to thin like mad to get to the size typical customers are attracted to.

2 Likes

Olpea, so this will be mystery peach #2šŸ˜„

I was clueless when I bought my first peach tree. Thanks to you and others on this and the old forum, I managed to grow some decent peaches.
I really appreciated the help you gave over the years!

2 Likes

Take a picture and frame it. Spend the money on another fruit tree. Just kidding frame it if you want to.

3 Likes

You sure made peoplesā€™ day with your peaches Iā€™m sure. You did a great thing, Sara. :smile:

Dax

2 Likes

Manmuang, I know what you mean. In our minds, $16.9/lb wonā€™t be enough, right?:grinning:

I bet you grow really good Korean Giant that everyone wants to get their hands on. I have grafted a couple, canā€™t wait to see them bearing fruits.

So far, I only have good luck with peach trees. They bear a lot fruits for me. I have couple of plum trees for years now, I have eaten one plum so faršŸ˜ž

1 Like

Sarah,

Your peaches looked fabulous. I have better luck with plums than peaches. My plums, both Euro and Asian fruit by year 3. It just this year that I spray Indar. Before that. Brown rot and bugs got most of them.

What are the plum varieties you have?.

Iā€™m not sure that it is that far away- this is the first time itā€™s fruited, as the tree is also in year #3 and Iā€™m going off the ā€œdays after Redhavenā€. But, I wouldnā€™t mind it taking some time and sizing up- they are currently more like baseballs, than the softball sized Loring. Maybe it is the impact of Citation rootstock, while Loring is on Lovel (much bigger tree).

Iā€™m seeing more less than perfect fruit now- itā€™s getting some bird pecks, which are rotting. Of the 12lbs I picked yesterday, just under 1/2 of it was perfect enough to give away. I donā€™t think Iā€™d want to sell it- too much work to grow it just to sell it. I might freeze it for the winter first.

Or jam, speaking of which, thanks @mrsg47 and @IowaJer! How much sugar do you use? Maybe 80% of the fruit weight? And just enough water to allow it to cook?

I had my wife translate the sign on the peaches. Under the $1.69/lb, it said ā€œlocally, grown at homeā€.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been using the Sure-Jell pectin in the pink box, itā€™s labeled as low or no sugar recipes. Still the cooked peach jam calls for 3 cups of sugar for the 4 1/2 cups of peaches. I usually cut the sugar back some (between 1/4 & 1/2 c) but am afraid to go more for fear of messing with the set.

Itā€™s pretty simple though, and thereā€™s no water involved. Just bring the peaches and pectin with about 1/4 of the measured out sugar combined to a boil, then add in the remaining sugar and bring it to a hard boil for exactly one min. then fill your jars and give them a 10 min boiling bath.

Iā€™ve never done the freezer jam peach recipe on the flip side but it only calls for 2 1/2 cups of sugar but thatā€™s with half cup less peaches too.

But basically Iā€™m just using the instructions that come in the box of pectin.

I would not mind learning of a different way to get a good jam and be able to use a lot less sugar. (I wish my parents would have been canners :slight_smile:)

EDIT: I forgot to mention they call for two tablespoons of lemon juice too. So youā€™re bringing the peaches, pectin & lemon juice to an initial boil before adding in the rest of whatever sugar you decide on.

1 Like

My five elbertas are still totally green.

1 Like