Peach Tree issues, 7th straight yr no fruit :(

Yes, I think it would. If the root stock is healthy. But you dont really have a way to know that. any disease might just be transmitted to the new shoot. If you do, do it now so that it will be forced to sucker or die.

2 Likes

It wouldn’t hurt to try. If you can get rid of the borers themselves, the fungus won’t be contagious to other trees or anything.

You might be able to cut it below where the fungus has hurt the tissues and have the rootstock push nice growth. If the fungus is farther in, the roots will just die (it won’t push growth you have to worry about being sick, the way that fungus strangles things).

I’ve never cut down a peach, but I had a tree fall on my Goldcot on peach roots, and the roots sprouted up a red-leaved peach tree. I grafted onto it successfully this year. It really shot up quickly once it showed some suckering. That took a long while, I thought, but then the vigor kicked in.

1 Like

Are borers found everywhere you can grow stone fruit?? I’m relatively new to growing peaches and haven’t (thankfully) had any experience with them…Granted I’m sure there are other environmental pressures I’ll have to contend with here in Florida…curious if theyre the type of pest that once they get established are tough to get rid of or whether certain varieties are more sucesptible.

If you are referring to peach tree borers (most common stone fruit borer) they can be found anywhere in the U.S. where peach trees are grown, but are more common in areas where peaches are more common.

The biggest problem with peach borer is with young trees. Once the trees get some age, you can easily see the sap and treat the base with an insecticide. Young trees are a little harder to see the sap until a lot of damage is done.

2 Likes

If you mean those awful ambrosia borers, I don’t know if they are everywhere but they are in the SE, including Florida and go up into the north along the east coast.

They like wounded trees, especially like when fig branches die over the winter. Trees literally put off a chemical scent they detect! So cut out dead wood before around February. I hope you never get them!

7 years of making took 3 minutes to get rid of…now it’s in the garbage can. I looked for any “galleries” that I read about after ambrosia beetle damage. But my untrained eye couldn’t pick out anything. Everything looked perfectly normal, except it was dead.
I asked my son (4 yrs old) if he’s sad now that the peach tree is gone. He goes “no…I don’t like peach”.
:flushed:

Sorry Susu for the loss of your tree. Are you going to plant another?

I planted two peach seedlings this spring. So probably not another peach. Maybe get an Apple tree. I only have one and it looks to be a dud. So might as well get an addition/replacement going already now.

I cried over losing an apricot after a hurricane. In a few more years it gets easier!

3 Likes

I may have a twinge of sadness for a couple of minutes and it’s quickly superseded by excitement of having spots for new tree varieties I want.

It works every time.

6 Likes

After seeing your situation I don’t think I could ever complain again. Your yard is a challenge.

1 Like

For some percentage of trees to die is to be expected. Just cut your losses and move forward with new trees.

2 Likes

@Susu When of the best things I learned on Growing Fruit was to plant my trees in a raised box if the soil or drainage was poor. I usually mix 30% to 40% processed manure in with native soil in the raised box. 4ft x 4ft with 12 inch raised sides works well. Looking at your yard the drainage looks bad.

1 Like

Yes next tree will definitely go in a raised bed.