Peach x Cherry Interspecific hybrid: is it possible?

Post pictures of your White Gold cherries when they are ripe.

OK, will do, if I get any? I will, I’ll protect the tree. I also have Glacier sweet cherries ripening at my cottage. I need to net that too.

1 Like

I will, too, plant Nadia’s seeds. Most likely, they are going to be Candy Heart Pluerry x Nadia.

1 Like

That’s cool, mine will most likely be Satsuma, although I used Flavor King on a few flowers, and marked them, so I may grow those out. I didn’t protect the flowers, as first I needed to know if anything would work. It doesn’t look like pollination is going to be a problem with this cultivar. A very good thing. Satsuma is loaded too. Any cross should be decent. I added three cultivars to my tree, they all took. So Lavina, Loroda, and Spring Satin are grafted unto Nadia. On Satsuma, is Toka, the bubblegum plum, Superior which has American plum in it. May be interesting to add the hardiness, a yellow flesh, a very good large plum. Another yellow is the Vermont plum. Not well known, all reports I have seen say it’s excellent.A mango flavor, and a very attractive fruit too, the color is outstanding. Possible crosses may be interesting.
I could lose some of the grafts as they are young, knocked off, broken etc. But I know how to get good takes, so I’ll just do it again.

1 Like

The birds ate the cherry from the second picture, luckily, they left the seed intact on the stem. So today, I cracked the seed and I put it into col

d stratification.

1 Like

How long do you keep the seed cold? Does it start growing during the stratification period in cold storage? I think I am doing something wrong. After drying several plum seed last year I planted my seed in an outdoor pot for the winter. I did not crack the hull and none have started growing.

I keep it in the fridge until the kernel starts germinating.

2 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

You have to crack the hull, then soak the kernels for 30 minutes; then in a sandwich bag add potting soil and water, and finally add the kernels.

2 Likes

I picked the last two remaining cherries today; and the kernels are now under cold stratification.

7 Likes

The seeds will probably germinate around early-August. If the pollination was a success, I wonder what would the seedlings look like?

1 Like

The seeds are still under cold stratification; They are starting to open, but they haven’t developed a tap root yet. So my question is, should I plant them now or wait three more weeks?

Also, has anyone had any success growing cherry trees from seeds?

1 Like

Alcedo did in Europe.

3 Likes

Now it’s time to plant the seeds: is this the beggining of peach x cherry hybrids?

7 Likes

The seeds didn’t make it. They rotted. Nevertheless, I still have a second chance. I pollinated Indian Free peach flowers with Rainier cherry pollen. Now I have to wait until fruit ripens, collect and plant the seeds. And hopefully they have viable kernels inside the pits, and most important, peach x cherry hybrid embryos.

3 Likes

thanks for the update hopefully the indian free will make it, can’t wait to see what happens.

2 Likes

Very few things are completely ‘impossible’. It will take a lot of patience and time.

I think all these attempts are noble but ludicrous at the same time.
I’m sorry but a scientific method must be used.
For example, pollen stamens must be cutted from the flower before it blossoms. Even though the plant is not self fertile, there is a high-risk of self pollination (even an infertile plant produces some fruits). The flowers must be totally protected and the future fruits must ripe completely to have higher chances.
Also, bees are not the only pollinators.
Wind, flies, bumbles, ants can pollinate.

So, the possibility that those fruits were not a peach/cherry hybrid was extremely high.
If it were so easy, we would have much more interspecific trees

I agree with you but for different reasons.
And also you are new here and we all do what you say already. We know how to emasculate flowers, and we use organza bags or paper or other methods to protect from contamination. So you’re not telling us anything we don’t already know. We also know how to collect, dry and apply pollen in the most effective way.

I currently have 7 pluot seedlings I let naturally cross, just to see what I get. Many times are biggest obstacle is pollen incompatibility which is what defeats us. I decided to let nature do it for me.Worse case is I have rootstock for stuff I want to keep. I grew out seedlings of Dapple Dandy, Flavor King, Flavor Grenade and Honey Punch. Yeah the Flavor Grenade seedling has purple leaves and it is right next to SpiceZee Nectaplum (purple leaves), and might have crossed with it? Or it could be the recessive plum trait for purple leaves, such as the Hollywood plum has. I have Hollywood, but it is new, and did not flower last year, so is not possible to be in this cross. Anyway hoping I have the new inter-specific SpiceZee Grenade! :slight_smile: The nectaplum fruit can get as big as the palm of your hand, it’s excellent too! And Grenade is kinda football shaped. So if I get a giant football shaped fruit, I’ll know who it’s daddy is!

I agree with you because it’s already done, why reinvent the wheel and just work with the wheel we have? Zaiger has done it with Fall Fiesta Pluot which has cherry, peach, nectarine and plum. I plan to cross it with Nadia cherry-plum hybrid, and Candy Heart Pluerry. Does anybody know the percentages in Candy Heart of Plum and cherry? I would like to know that. The first cross will be with Nadia this spring and I’ll cross with Candy Heart in 2020.

The reason we have little chance of success is from pollen incompatibility not someone with bad technique. Well yeah sure it doesn’t help, but most of us amateur breeders here have technique down. Been there, done that, have the T-shirt. We already know this too. This is just for fun. We like experimenting.We would be amazed if we succeed. Most of us admire Burbank who did thousands in a very short time compared to many other breeders.

I btw have 2 raspberry cultivars I developed, Irene and Andrea. Irene is a pink and Andrea is a yellow. Now crossing stone fruit is a hell of a lot easier than crossing brambles. Mostly because of the extremely difficult scarification process of bramble seeds. It took me 3 years to get it right. Both have excellent flavor. I had others, but they had too much acid and tasted bad. I culled them out.

2 Likes

Blockquote The reason we have little chance of success is from pollen incompatibility not someone with bad technique.

Ofc the reason is that.
I just meant we can’t hope that without a control of the pollination we can get an hybrid, only because the plant is not self-fertile, it’s not that easy.

Blockquote
you’re not telling us anything we don’t already know

I’m new here and I don’t know who uses this forum, so i apologise if everybody already knew how to emasculate and make hybrids. I just read of this childish attempt and I didn’t get you are already experts. My bad