Pear buds, blossoms, and fruit 2017

Unless something unexpected happens I will have 6-8 Harrow Sweet pears to try out. Thanks @mamuang.

3 Likes

Bill,
Congrats. Hard to believe how fast a little twig can grow and produce :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Pear crop is fairly small this year but here are some of the Douglas, improved kieffer, harrow sweet, small yellow pear, Duchess D’ Angoulme, Korean Giant, Drippin’ honey, and hosui.

10 Likes

Here are some pics of our pears…4 of the 5 varieties have fruitlets. The other one…D’Anjou is in only its third growing season.

Summercrisp:

Bartlett:

Seckel:

Patten:

4 Likes

Those look excellent!

1 Like

Thanks! It’s been a good spring for fruit trees…lots of rain and just enough sun (barely!). I have to start a spray program though or I won’t be getting many good pears or apples.

1 Like

Pears look great for a small crop! Here are a couple of them.

9 Likes

I can’t find or remember the topic where I was asked to post a photo of our Harrovin Sundown pear with fruit when it is only in third leaf. We thinned off all the fruit except 2 on each tree, but here is a picture:

3 Likes

Great looking pear reminds me of the other harrows. Like your dog!

1 Like

Harovin Sundown aka Cold Snap: Please report back and tell us how they taste at harvest…

2 Likes

The few Red blushing bartlett I found are looking nice.

4 Likes

I’ve got a few growing…

Katy

6 Likes

Those look good Katy!

1 Like

Congrats guys late frost took all my pears out this year.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that Ben. Harrow sweet is a great pear not just because it has a good taste but also because it blooms late. You might give one a try if this has happened more than once.

1 Like

My one of the two Magness. First time setting fruit!!

Unfortunately, Fondante fruit fell off.

6 Likes

@mamuang
Wow look at those beautiful little Magness! What an accomplishment! How many years did it take? Those are hard fruit to get! Fondante de moullins Lille the same year would have been incredible! There is next year for that. Those are excellent pears your growing!

1 Like

I got good set on my European and Asian pears this year. I probably will spend a couple of hours thinning them this Weekend if time permits.

Tony

10 Likes

Those look really good Tony! A bumper crop! The fruitlets look perfect. Can’t wait to see them when you pick them! I can tell there are a lot of different types there. The red blushing bartlett should have some good yields and they are really dripping and juicy with good sugar balance. Those and the others will be really good here in the Midwest. The one downside to the red blushing bartlett is some years there is some grit close to the skin but overall the dripping sugary balanced pear will make up for that. It holds extremely good on the tree even when ripe and unlike the original real bartlett it’s very resistant to fireblight. I’m not sure what it actually is but I can tell you this it does ripen on the tree so it’s likely a seedling or sport of bartlett. It will ripen around July 25th most years in Kansas but let it turn yellow on the tree if pests will allow it. There were a lot of cool days this year so I’m not sure how that will effect it but it’s never been later than the first part of August. I’m very picky on pears so I pick on good pears sometimes like red blushing bartlett or Duchess but remember I’m comparing them to Comice.

2 Likes

Those look awesome Tony, a much nicer harvest than I’ve had yet on my trees, some of which have been in the ground for 10 years or so.

2 Likes