Pecan pollination chart

I just posted an updated version at the link above. Incremental changes include adding maturity dates to many of the varieties.

1 Like

I put another update on my website at the link above. This update fixes some minor data errors and includes a major upgrade to the macros that drive the menu of state recommendations. I did not like the execution time for the old macros to run. They were averaging about 12 seconds with a few going as high as 20 seconds. The updated macros run in about 5 seconds on average.

Question for anyone following the pollination chart: Would you like to have nut pictures embedded in the file for each variety? It is relatively easy to embed a picture into a comment and size the comment to display the picture.

Edit to add that I just uploaded a new version of the pollination sheet with a picture embedded in a comment beside Greenriver. Roll over column B to see the text comment as in previous versions. Column C has the picture. This picture is from the ARS website courtesy of L.J. Grauke.

If anyone is interested, I included a significant improvement with the macros in terms of number of rows of code. I added 4 more states yet eliminated 30 rows of code while doing so. Execution speed is about the same as the previous version in the 4 to 5 second range.

2 Likes

Here is a listing of varieties in the sheet at this point. I am soliciting suggestions if anyone has ideas of varieties for a given region.

Alabama | Adams #5,Amling,Avalon,Baby B,Creek,Excel,Gafford,Headquarters,Huffman,Kanza,Lakota,McMillan,Miss L,Moreland,Sumner,Syrup Mill

Arizona | Apache,Burkett,Cheyenne,Mohawk,Pawnee,Western Schley,Wichita

Arkansas | Amling,Caddo,Elliott,Kanza,Lakota,Oconee,Pawnee,Stuart

California | Cheyenne,Choctaw,Kanza,Lakota,Nacono,Pawnee,Waco,Western Schley,Wichita

Far Northern | Deerstand,Dumbell Lake Small,Hark,James,Lucas,Mullahy,Oswego,Shepherd,Warren 346,Yates 152

Florida | Cape Fear,Curtis,Desirable,Elliott,Excel,Kiowa,Melrose,Moreland,Stuart,Sumner

Georgia For Trial | Amling,Byrd,Excel,Lakota,McMillan

Georgia North | Kanza,Lakota,Pawnee

Georgia South | Caddo,Desirable,Elliott,Forkert,Kanza,Oconee,Pawnee,Sumner,Zinner

Georgia Temporary Tree | Cape Fear,Creek,Kiowa

Kansas | Hark,Kanza,Oswego,Pawnee

Louisiana | Caddo,Candy,Elliott,Jackson,Melrose,Oconee,Sumner

Mississippi Low Input | Elliott,Jackson,Kanza,Lakota,Melrose,Owens,Sumner

Mississippi North | Choctaw,Desirable,Forkert,Kiowa,Owens,Pawnee,Stuart

Mississippi South | Cape Fear,Desirable,Elliott,Forkert,Kiowa,Owens,Pawnee,Stuart,Sumner

Missouri | Hark,Kanza,Oswego,Pawnee

New Mexico | Apache,Burkett,Desirable,Harper,Ideal,Mesilla,Pawnee,Rincon,Salopek,Sioux,Sullivan,Tejas,Western Schley,Wichita

North Carolina | Amling,Caddo,Cape Fear,Chickasaw,Elliott,Forkert,Gloria Grande,Kanza,Kiowa,Lakota,Lipan,Mandan,Oconee,Pawnee,Stuart,Sumner

Oklahoma | Adams #5,Caddo,Clark II,Forkert,Gafford,Kanza,Lakota,Lipan,Maramec,Nacono,Oconee,Pawnee

South Caroliina | Amling,Caddo,Cape Fear,Elliott,Forkert,Gloria Grande,Kanza,Kiowa,Lakota,Oconee,Pawnee,Sumner

Texas Central | Caddo,Desirable,Kanza,Lakota,Lipan,Mandan,Nacono,Oconee,Pawnee,Sioux,Wichita

Texas North | Caddo,Kanza,Lakota,Lipan,Mandan,Osage,Pawnee

Texas Southeast | Apalachee,Caddo,Desirable,Elliott,Forkert,Kanza,Lakota,Lipan,Mandan,Oconee,Pawnee,Prilop of Lavaca

Texas Southwest | Caddo,Cheyenne,Hopi,Lakota,Lipan,Pawnee,Waco,Western,Wichita

Ultra Northern | Campbell NC4,Iowa,Lucas,Warren 346

3 Likes

You can add ā€˜Starking Hardy Giantā€™ to far-northern.

Dax

Done, and a good suggestion. I have thought about getting a start to use in crosses to scab resistant varieties. Iā€™m hoping that Eclipse will carry enough of the genetics for early maturity that I wonā€™t have to go back to the parent.

1 Like

Yep. The USDA has really utilized Starking Hardy Giant my friend told me.

Dax

You could add Hark to anywhere Kanza is on your list, as-well. Iā€™m telling you itā€™s truly awesome.

Dax

I agree that Hark needs to be more widely used, but I am concerned that it is not scab resistant enough to use in the deep south. I added it to Oklahoma based on Wes Rice having it and confirming your thought that it is going to be a good one long term. I have a graft that has broken buds and is growing. In a year or two, I will know more about the scab resistance.

1 Like

Fusion power, you can add Connecticut to your list. We grow Campbell 4, and Mullahy here with great success.

Bob Harper

1 Like

Dax, The USDA has also used a lot of NC-4, in a lot of their breeding, and have come up with some very good Far Northern selections. Here, NC-4 is a 155 day pecan. Itā€™s very scab resistant here, and ripens here in Connecticut, around October the 22th/25th. Itā€™s a very attractive nut, and has a good pecan flavor. We, got our scion wood starts from Wes, maybe 15 years ago, and the USDA confirmed Wes had the true NC-4.

Bob Harper

1 Like

Pull a fresh copy of the pollination sheet as per the first post in this thread to see Connecticut info. I put in Lucas and Warren 346 since they are highly likely to mature in your climate.

Also in this update, Avalon, Nortena, and a few others have a pic in column C.

Darrel, thanks for the pecan pollination chart. It was very useful in filling in a lot of questions I had, on certain cultivars. Iā€™m interested in why you do not recommend Fritz Flat. Is it because it is takes 100 pecans to make a pound? One of itā€™s strong points was. At least for my location in Connecticut, was it grew to be a large tree quickly, and started to bear heavily at an early age.

Also, where did you get the stats for Carlson # 3. Those are good stats for Carlson # 3. I would be interested in obtaining scion wood of that strain. Most stats that I have seen for Carlson # 3 are a lot less then the ones you posted.

Thaks Bob Harper

Fritz Flat is not on the recommended list from Wes Rice because it has low nut quality. It might still be a good cultivar for your conditions.

Carlson #3 is from L.J. Graukeā€™s writeup on the USDA site. I do not have it growing nor have I had any experience with it. Pecan Cultivars-Carlson #3

Bringing this back to the top since this is the time of year a lot of pecans get planted.

I would like Zinner,Ellis,& Choctaw added to Central Texas list.
Thanks

1 Like

Tommy, I can see Zinner because it is an excellent quality pecan though it needs spraying here in the Southeast. Ellis is touch and go at this point. I saw heavy scab on it at Auburn last year. Choctaw is actually on the USDA recommended list from 1990 for East Texas. Do you know of anything published indicating these varieties are good choices in your climate? I will put them down for review regardless and maybe email Monte Nesbitt to see if his recommendations need to be updated.

1 Like

This is an interesting presentation by L.J. Grauke about carya in general and pecan specifically.

1 Like

Most interesting to know that ā€˜Majorā€™ has hickory mixed into it. Itā€™s not as large a nut as these guys want down there for their breeding programs which Grauke even made apparent in that video stating the same about Kanza, but, itā€™s apparently still after more than a century being-grown, scab-resistant (ā€˜Majorā€™). Like Grauke said, ā€˜is it because it has hickory integrated into itsā€™ DNA ā€¦ itā€™s a possibility.ā€™ Major seedlings are time and time again showing itsā€™ same excellent traits among offspring. I know of an older gentleman whoā€™s having some of his first F2 Major seedlings bear, and some are gorgeous nuts & exemplary cracking nuts, too.

I must be lucky. My neighborhood is a former native pecan river bottom land. Trees are everywhere so I donā€™t have to worry about pollination. I have a very large native in my front yard at 2+ feet at the base and 60+ feet tall. Produces only occasionally but the nuts are nearly as large as a commercial variety and are worth picking up although I gave away most of them. Got 75 lbs last year but only this much once for 6 years with most other years almost nothing. No insect pests or scab. Shells are thin as well. I live in the exurbs of SW Houston within a couple miles of the Brazos river. I know of another tree in Bridge City, TX that is a seedling with commercial sized nuts. It is growing in some ones front yard next to a drainage ditch.