Pecan pollination chart

Right. But, it has husks on it already, so apparently it got pollinated. Unless it makes husks regardless, I don’t know about pecan tree husbandry.

Like I mentioned, there’s a 30ft+ pecan tree next door, so I’m guessing it’s the “father”. So maybe it’s a type 2 variety?

I can’t ID from a picture but can tell a few things about the tree. Don’t worry about nut color. It is genetic with some varieties having pale color and others deep green. Leaves are a more reliable indicator of nutrient status. Since they are pale around the veins, it is probably nitrogen deficient. Given stated age of 6 years, it needs about 10 pounds of 13-13-13. Sharp pointed leaf tips indicate it is not deficient in nickle, but it needs a small amount of zinc. I would put 2 or 3 pounds of zinc sulphate around it same time as the fertilizer.

You can look up USDA pecan releases on these pages:
https://cgru.usda.gov/carya/pecans/pecalph.htm
https://cgru.usda.gov/carya/pecans/peccv00.htm

I found a small tree on the north side of my Mom’s house, thought the leaves looked familiar. Turns out it’s also a pecan, but it’s apparently a seedling. Guess a squirrel buried a nut there…

Perfect opportunity to practice grafting pecans subdood.

Well, considering I don’t have any rootstock at home, I can’t do much with a cutting.

I have about 500 seedlings growing. Message me later this year and I’ll send you a dozen.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s very generous of you. Do you know what variety they might be? Or combinations of several varieties?

I started seed of 7 different highly scab tolerant pecans. I have Lakota, Gafford, McMillan, Adams #5, Florence, etc. Lakota would be highly adapted to your climate.

Thanks! I planted 8 bare root pecans 7 years ago, but all of them died within a couple years. They had big tap roots but hardly any of the small feeder roots. I think they had Caddo rootstock.

I think I had Zinner and Lakota, but can’t remember the other two varieties. I got two pairs each of type I and type II varieties. They were from Plant Me Green out of Florida. I also got two pears from them that are still doing very well.

Edit: the others were Oconee and Caddo. Here’s the thread I commented about it.

Double edit: the pecan I planted for my Mom was from Atwood’s, a local farm supply store. It was a bare root tree with its roots wrapped in a big bag with a moist medium to keep them from drying out. I bet I dug a two foot deep hole to accommodate the monster tap root. Guess I did that one right.

1 Like

Hi Fusion_Power,
I’m in old zone 5, newly 6a mid-Michigan.

Downloaded chart. Ultra Northern pecans add-in was blank for info ie Campbell nc4 was blank for pollen/ stigma. Ordered Hark as it has good buzz fr local forums but there is a long list of maybe compatibles in chart, but as ultra northern are blank I can’t line up a 2nd tree type for pollination. Is there an updated link to newer chart?

Campbell NC4 is not documented for pollen shed and pistil receptive dates so I can’t add them to the database. It is type 1 which means pollen available first. As such, it is not a good pollen source for Hark.

Your best options are Warren 346 (1?), Hark (1), Lucas (II), Oswego (II), Mullahy (II), and Campbell NC4 (I). You could try Kanza but it is known to have problems as far north as your location.

Many type 1 pecans are actually overlap pollinators. With 4 of the above varieties, it is almost certain there will be adequate pollen available.

1 Like

Thanks Fusion. I’ll impatiently wait for fall to find Oswego in stock :cry:.

I collected Oswego scionwood from Auburn a couple of months ago and grafted a tree a few days ago. Grimo is your best possibility for the varieties likely good for your climate. Don’t discount Mullahy. It is a fairly good pecan for northern regions.

1 Like

First graft to pop bud. One of the ones Darryl sent me.