Persimmons that will ripen in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle area)

I ingrounded 1. The one in picture is still in the pot. I will replace my bavay gage plum. Just wonder how NG growing habit. Thank you Ram.

1 Like

This is another N.G .

2 Likes

E

These are Jiro, Rojo Brillante, Nikita’s Gift and the last one is a Saijo.

3 Likes

Ram, those look very nice!

My Saijo, Nikita’s Gift, and Yates have a fair number of flower buds now. I’m optimistic. My Prairie Star (or is it Prairie Sun?) has lush growth and might be ready to bloom in a year, but I need to put up a better deer fence. Nikita’s Gift is performing the best in terms of growth and flower buds.

Thanks Daniel!
NG is the best here too in terms of flower buds. It didn’t grow at all last year and I was worried that something was wrong. Hopefully I will taste fruit this year. I didnt get any Saijo fruit or flowers last year. Hoping this year will be different.

Ram, for some reason my Saijo isn’t nearly as vigorous as the Nikita’s Gift. I wonder if it’s the rootstock relation to those cultivars. They are both on D. lotus. The Saijo had pale leaves for several years, and my soil test said Magnesium deficient, so I watered in Epsom Salts, about 1/4 cup in 2 gallons of water, per tree. The leaves are richer green and the stems more vigorous, but NG is still more lush than Saijo. NG also has more fruits and flowers, but Saijo has bigger fruits.

Yates isn’t a perfect comparison, since it’s D. virginiana, but has even more vigorous growth. This will be its 2nd year to fruit. It has lots of buts but not covered with them so far, unlike last year. I think I planted that one in 2014. Prairie Star/Sun is very vigorous now. I’m amazed at how lush it looks.

My Saijo is on Lotus but I believe the NG is on D.Virginiana as is the RB. Lotus is supposedly an excellent rootstock for all Kakis. I am also quite happy with how the RB is growing.

Daniel, please post photos!

The Saijo I got when it was already pretty large. Over 6ft tall. It put on more than a foot last year, maybe 2 feet but zero blooms. This year it is putting out flower buds for the first time.

Could your results be due to individual variation in the trees? Or micro-climates? Soil temperature? One suggestion might be to use Ironite (1-0-1) which supplies micro nutrients that might be missing in the soil.

I’ve been fertigating with Dynagro foliage pro all my young trees. I use 1/4 tsp per gallon of water each time I water which is their recommended dosage. It is slightly more expensive than Miracle Gro but 1 can lasted all season so it is a good deal overall.

Update: A few of my young persimmon trees have started putting out fruit and they have become bigger
and even developing some color.
Jiro

2 Likes

Nikita’s gift

3 Likes

Saijo

5 Likes

Rojo Brillante has no fruits this year but has put on some size

7 Likes

Is this the first year fruiting? How old are the tees ?
Did you graft them yourself or bought as is?

I bought these trees last year from a couple of nurseries.

Nice fruits set Ramv. Those trees really liked your location.

Tony

2 Likes

Nikita’s gift and Saijo are now ripening. 9 NG and 25 Saijo. Not bad for the second year with these varieties.

6 Likes

I now have a lot of Rojo Brillianti’s, more than any others. KBS is always excellent, so is Giombo and so is R/B, can go wrong with any of these.

2 Likes

I got a couple of RB as well. No fruits yet. Very fast grower though.

I am happy for you did not wait too long . So from now you will have some persimmon fruits every year.
Please give us the report on the tasting when they ready. Thank you so much Ram.

2 Likes

@ramv were these 2nd year from grafting or 2nd year from planting trees?

2nd year from purchase. First year they lived in a pot. I didn’t have success grafting persimmons.

2 Likes