Philosophies on Watering your Garden

I’m wondering how people approach watering their gardens. I feel like I over-water. If there’s no rain, I run my soaker hoses twice a week for 1/2 hour periods. I think the general rule of thumb is 1 inch per week. Seems like there are lots of other variables to consider, though: type of plant, plant maturity, heat/humidity, etc.

1 Like

Type of plant is a huge variable as is the age…new trees and shrubs need more water to get established…obviously, garden vegetables will need more water than a tree or shrubs…you’re right though, most people do have a tendency to over water.

for my well established trees/shrubs I’ll only water if there hasn’t been any appreciable rain fall for 2 weeks or if they start looking limp…I’d rather train the roots tohunt for the water than run the risk of making them shallow or causing root rot…

2 Likes

seedlings right now, lots of water, well above 1 inch a week. Beds with, say, turnips and other deep rooted plants, do not need as much water. Beds with shallow rooted plants (potato, allium, beans) more than one inch. I notice that, despite being there watering every day, the cardoon is getting no water, and it does not mind.

2 Likes