Pick your pears at the perfect time

Speedster,
Watch this video and compare the color to your Shinseiki pear https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isc2tIQYQcw. Then watch this video and pay attention to the green undertone discussed in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWhFkhquPOU. I would not wait to long because they are pretty tempting for everything besides you! I let mine turn yellow and then I grab them.

1 Like

Thanks Clark. After watching the video Iā€™d say itā€™s very close but maybe not quite ready. Itā€™s turning yellow but still has a green tint.

1 Like

Not the biggest bartlett on the tree, but a good idea where mine are at.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a very nice looking pear! Looks like itā€™s getting close!

Thanks. As long as the squirrels donā€™t harass them. I just hope to get them to the picking stage, whenever that is!

The Bartlett like I said will actually ripen on the tree. Itā€™s not the type of pear that ripens in the middle first unless it has a worm in it. Be careful ripening like I mentioned because you can attract all kinds of fruit thieves. They really are delicious if you let them turn that slight yellow color on the tree. That pear is getting close!

Well I picked the shinseiki and it was a big disappointment. It had great texture and was juicy but no flavor at all. Tasted like water pretty much.

Speedster,
Some years Asian pears can be a little washed out in taste but the best Iā€™ve heard of or tasted is Drippenā€™ Honey. It is consistently good here in Kansas year after year. Big, Juicy, Sweet and productive. Korean Giant are reportedly excellent pears but Iā€™ve never tried them. Next year they may be better because when any tree first produces it is not as good as it is later on. I nearly removed one of my favorite pears because it was awful and small the first year. The next year I was angry at myself for considering top working it. Itā€™s been excellent most years.

1 Like

I hear you. Iā€™ll definitely give it a lot more time. Iā€™m in no hurry. Iā€™m growing Korean Giant and Mishirasu In addition to a few other Asians. Really looking forward to Korean Giant. And Iā€™ve heard there is debate on weather Mishirasu is the same as dropped honey. I guess they arenā€™t but they appear to be very similar.

1 Like

Wit until you taste Drippenā€™ Honey! No other Asian like that one.

1 Like