Pineapples

This is the earliest I have been able to take these out :slight_smile: I heard there is a better chance at pineapple flowering in part shade? Is this true or should I continue with full sun and just stick to the apple method?
Today 02/24/18

3 Likes

I grew them in full sun here in very hot inland CA and they did fine. Also they are grown in full sun in Hawaii when I was there.

4 Likes

totally agree with @Calron . Full sun is a must. Pineapples are in a class of their own among bromeliads, needing plenty sunlight to be productive. Many of its cousins can’t tolerate direct sun.
i see you’re in canada, so full sun is needed even more. Glad to see you have a greenhouse .

3 Likes

What type of fertilizer do you use in your potted pineapple? I have one growing inside as we have snow outside but will move it back into the greenhouse when the weather warms. I have been using a all purpose liquid fertilizer.

1 Like

There are 4 or 5 all together now I don’t use anything really, miracle grow liquid fert too maybe once a year.

2 Likes

These got a good watering after the 3 days of rain

2 Likes

One of those pineapples started to rot so I stuck it in the ground beginning of June

October 2018 update

1 Like

End of December and no damage. I’m amazed!

3 Likes

I’m experimenting with one in the ground under my citrus protection. Never gets below 40 with the lights for heat. Seems to be doing ok

5 Likes