Go ahead and plant potatoes or what?
OK – my seed potatoes are sprouting slowly indoors. All have some sprouts & look good, but they’re still ‘nubs’ ~ ¼” long, more or less. Trying to decide if I should plant them now, or wait until next weekend.
It has warmed up SOME – we hit 73°F yesterday and 71° today, but cool weather is again on the horizon. Coldest night in the forecast, as of now, is forecast at around 30°F, so I think they’ll survive (esp since they won’t have emerged yet), but I’m trying to decide if I gain anything by planting now vs. waiting a bit longer. Soil temp was close to 60 yesterday but will cool back down – most days in the next 7-10 day forecast will see highs between 49 and 58 and lows mostly in the 30s but generally above freezing, so soil temps will probably dip into the 40s at least at night (sunshine during the day may warm it back up some).
I don’t mind if they take while to emerge, but I don’t want them to rot in cold soil, yet, I don’t want to wait TOO long and have hot soil too hot for tuber development too early in the plant’s life cycle! The good news is, my soil is a fairly well-drained loam.
Would you plant or wait?