Was out in the patch this morning, just about all the 'mater's are still mostly green, just a few of the Jaune Flamme and Purple Russian are turning a bit.
We had a big rain yesterday for about two hours, think we got maybe half an inch total. Probably didn't hurt as it was very hot this week. The next couple days are supposed to be in the 90's, but no real rain threat until Tuesday or so.
Because I'm a little geeky and maybe a bit wacky, I just went out to the patch in the midday heat, took my notepad, and counted the fruit on ALL 70 plants. Before I passed out from heat stroke, I counted a little over 1000(?!?!) fruit of various sizes. The largest fruits are about the size of a squashed tennis ball, on the Aunt Ruby's, black Brandywine, and Gordost Sibiri.
The most prolific varieties are Chocolate Cherry, Mischka, Yellow Pear, Mr Bruno, Stupice, Jaune Flamme, Russian Queen and Amur Tiger. Kinda makes sense, since these are cherry/plum size varieties. The leader in the clubhouse is a Chocolate Cherry, with 62 fruit, followed by a Mr Bruno, with 52.
My Pink and Yellow Brandywine plants are being really stingy, none of them have more than 10 tom's on them, even though the plants are pretty big. The black variety has 17 on it, tho. But, BW's are supposedly not big producers. The Lemon Oxheart, Great White, Dr Wyche Yellow and Red Calabash plants are also not producing much, even though they're all about 4' plus size plants.
I also noted the disease progression on the plants, and it seems like the San Marzano, Amur Tiger and Yellow Pear are the worst, and Mr Bruno, Russian Queen, and Paul Robeson are showing a medium amount of disease. The rest of the plants are looking decent after being in the ground about two months. Mulching and pruning the lower branches probably helped quite a bit.
I've got to get out there and fertilize, that might help get some of the more reluctant plants to get going, but it's just too hot right now. I'll try to do some this evening.