Planting out tomatoes and other veggies thread 2017

Well yes, that’s true. But, my plan is to run a heavy duty line between the posts, and let them run up then over the lines. I got the idea from our neighbor’s who did the same thing with their half runners last year.

In the past few years, we have planted beans a couple weeks after corn and let the beans vine up the corn stalk, but it just becomes a big mess.

1 Like

Yesterday was a big planting day here, both of us were quite busy. I’m still in the process of transferring plants to the tomato and pepper plot. This is what went in the ground:

Tomatoes: Sunsetter (3), bought from local nursery

Peppers: Calwonder and Yellow Calwonder (3 of each), Jalapeño’s (3), from same nursery. There’s 3 more J’s and 3 Habanero’s from the nursery waiting to be planted.

Home grown peppers: Padron, Quadrato d’Asti Rosso, Serrano, Bulgarian Carrot (1 each)

There’s another 21 more home grown peppers hardening off that’ll be planted next week.

Mrs Dood planted the following:

Cucumbers: Two rows (~40ft) of Straight Eight, one row of Cross Country Hybrid, and SMR-58’s

Lettuce: Partial row of: Black Simpson, Salad Bowl, Harvest, Buttercrunch

Cabbage: Row of Golden Acre, Red Acre

Beans: Row of Kentucky Blue pole, partial row Contender pole

Peas: Alaska Early

Okra: Clemson Spineless

1 Like

The last year I grew pole beans (not half runners) I had a 7’ trellis that they over ran. After that it became clear the bush beans were more my style. After pulling the beets I put in Calima (beause of the good reviews here) and Dragon’s Tongue will go in after onions are pulled.

1 Like

Was outside a lot today, and noticed that we already have about 30 white half-runners already sprouting! That’s fast, as we just planted them Wed, I believe. We also have about 30 cuke hill sprouts.

So, guess I’d better get those fishing line fences up soon!

It got to about 92 today, so I didn’t get as much done as I would’ve liked, but I did get these planted:

Peppers:

Jalapeño, Habanero (3 each, from nursery)
Jalapeño (3, home grown as are the rest)
Yellow Banana (3)
Red Marconi, Bulgarian Carrot, Beaver Dam, Stavros Pepperoncini, Tobago Sweet Scotch Bonnet, Ancient Sweet (1 each)

I have about 10 more peppers to go.

Mrs Dood planted some Scarlet Globe, Daikon, and assorted radishes.

Man, it was hot today, virtually no wind, and few clouds, felt like it was frying my brain pan, even wearing a hat. I’ll be glad to see some rain later this week.

1 Like

JustAnne: you are going to love bean Calima. I’ve tried many beans and love love Calima. I always try one new variety and then rest Calima. I grew Dragon tongue last year. Liked it ok. But decided not to plant the left over seeds from last year. That way more space for Calima.

2 Likes

I love how you always mention Mrs Dood. Cute :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Well, gotta give credit where it’s due! She has been up since 7 this morning and has been working at stuff all day. She also did laundry, helped cook and deliver food for our church outreach ministry, run the weed-eater, and cook supper today. She puts me to shame…

But, I did make my bed, and brought the clothes back from the clothesline. No need for a dryer when you have a line to hang them on. Takes about 2 hours for them to dry in this heat…

2 Likes

You 2 seem to work well together

2 Likes

Yeah, we do, but she is a much harder worker than me. I’m lazy compared to her. She did do a lot of planting of the seeds over the last couple weeks, but I will say I did all the tomato and pepper work, from sowing the seeds indoors, putting them under lights, transplanting them to cups, hardening them off and then planting them in the garden. She knows I’m a bit OCD when it comes to the toms and peppers, so she lets me just do all the work there.

I was planning on putting the last of the peppers in the ground today, but we are getting one of those pop-up storms with a brief downpour, so that will have to wait.

2 Likes

After the daily garden walkabout, we have just about all our Honey Select corn up, some of the Silver Queen, and a few of the Iochief corn have sprouted.

Looks like about all the pole and half runner beans are up, as well as the cucumbers. Some lettuce and cabbage, okra, peas and even some radishes have poked thru as well.

The tomatoes are doing great, they seem to have got a steroid boost in growth this week. I guess it’s the showers and hot, humid weather that’s doing it.

I’ll try to get some pics here shortly, if it clears off a bit. We just had a brief downpour pass by, as it seems we’ve had every day this week.

1 Like

OK, just came in from the heat after finishing up planting the last of the peppers. There were 13 plants that got put in the ground:

Stavros Pepperoncini (2)
Ancho Mulato (2)
Ancient Sweet (2)
Red Marconi (2)
One each: Serrano, Gold Calwonder, Tobago Sweet Scotch Bonnet, Yellow Banana, Jalapeño

It was a tight fit to get the last three plants in, I just ran out of room.

So, total tomatoes were 43, and peppers were 44. No wonder I’m wore out!

The Doodette planted a couple rows of Red Pontiac and one row of Kennebec taters as well.

I think we are finally done with all the fruit and veggie planting for this year. Now comes the easy part, weeding, mulching, and… eating!

1 Like

Yes, I have three sets, original planting. Those set back by getting hit by frost, and a 2nd planting to replace those hit by frost. Well those hit by frost all but one survived. All three sets are close to the same size, bizarre. I wish peppers would do this!

2 Likes

That’s funny. Tomatoes are pretty tough plants. A couple years ago I had planted 40 transplants the first of May. Wouldn’t you know it, a couple days afterwards, they got hit by a severe t-storm. Wind, small hail, and driving rain. They got shredded, all of them lost some leaves, were bent over and muddy. Three actually had broken stalks, so they were losses. But all the others survived and eventually turned into 5ft+ beasts.

The storms we had Sunday were mostly just heavy rain, not much wind and no hail. All the plants were staked, and mulched, so they made it OK. There were a couple Chocolate Cherry plants that had tumped over, and had their tops in the mud. I guess they were tied too low, and all the rain made them top heavy and they fell over. I cleaned some leaves, removed some others and re-tied them. They should be alright. I had to re-tie a bunch of the others as they’ve been growing so much. Some had their mulch washed away, so that’ll have to be replaced.

We’re supposed to have mostly sunny weather for the rest of the week, so they’ll take off. They’re growing in a patch that used to be an old horse pasture, so they should flourish. Some are already over 2ft tall already!

The Indian Stripe and GG Weird Thing plants are doing great, as are the rest. The peppers took the heavy rain just fine, I was worried about them, but they’re all still standing, albeit a bit muddy. Even the puny looking nursery peppers are growing and have some nice deep green leaves. They all need to be mulched, tho. Plus, weeds are starting to take hold, so I’ll need to get the tiller out and do some cultivating.

Some of the tom’s are starting to flower, but I’ve pinched those off for now, I think they should grow some before starting to produce.

I’ll post some pics soon.

2 Likes

I was outside today in the sunshine checking out things and noticed that we finally have some potato sprouts. Still no signs of zucchini after a couple weeks, so prob not getting any of those, no big deal, not a big fan. I was surprised to see some volunteer tater sprouts in the current corn patch.

First tomato of the season is almost ready. This is red pear Franchi.

8 Likes

My potato patch. It has purple potatoes and Red Pontiac. This year I am trying to grow them under the straw so I can pick potatoes without digging the whole plant. Thank you @galinas for the hint.

I finally planted carrot and beet seeds after the good rain we had.

7 Likes

I’ve been using the straw method to grow potatoes for several years now - it’s great in my hard clay soil

1 Like

Good to know, I was not sure how it will work for me.

1 Like

Last year for me it would work great, if not the rat that decided that getting potatoes from the straw is much more pleasant that dig the soil! It destroyed a lot, but I still got good crop, so I guess method worked.

2 Likes

Yeah, a vole got into mine

1 Like