Plums with black skin and amber flesh

My Santa Rosa doesn’t set all that well either. Nice to not have to thin. My Weeping Santa Rosa is a little better. In my case, it seems my trees are not very vigorous, they may have stunted out on from lack of water with the drought we had. There is a healthy tree down the street that is loaded with SR s every year. I also think that there is no replacement for the unique sweet tart flavor of Santa Rosa plum, it is delicious, my favorite plum!

1 Like

I’m also a big fan of SR flavor. Did you try July SR (~ 10 days after SR) and Late SR (~ 30 days after SR) to extend the harvest? I’ve grafted July SR on a Krymsk-1 rootstock this spring, hopefully will taste a couple fruit next year. The bag with July SR scionwood at the CRFG scion exchange had a note on it: “The best tasting among all Santa Rosa variants.”

3 Likes

I would love to try july santa rosa. Late santa rosa is a bit tart, but good. If you have any scion wood available this winter, I would love to add it to my orchard!

1 Like

Jon, sure, let’s get in contact in late January.

1 Like

Great Stan, thanks, I will.

1 Like

‘Black Ice’ is a hybrid cross between ‘western sand cherry’ (Rocky Mountain cherry) and Japanese plum. @Graftman how much like plum is it?

Last year was the first year it fruited. It was good but not outstanding. Still one shouldn’t judge a plum by it’s first year crop. I didn’t detect any sand cherry flavor or texture. For a zone 3 plum I consider it very good.

1 Like