Polls: Favorite Fruits Polls (VOTE!)

I put together some polls and I am interested to see the results. I’ve replaced the original polls with polls that can integrate into this forum and make it less of a hassle to fill out. Sorry to those of you that already filled the polls out but there is no easy way to transfer those results to the new polls.

A few things to keep in mind:
I cannot include every variety in these polls. There are simply far too many varieties to include all of them. What I did was start from memory and then look at websites like Dave Wilson, Raintree, and ACN to include a lot of the more popular varieties. I left out apple simply because there are thousands of varieties and I couldn’t figure out a way to develop a decent poll. I’m sure I’ve brain farted and left out some of the best varieties but I think I have most of the varieties everyone talks about. For each poll I’ve included an option at the bottom that states “Other”. It’s a generic option to select in the event I don’t have your favorite listed. If by chance you choose “other” feel free to reply to the thread with the actual variety I left off.

Lastly, this is just for fun. It means nothing but like the member map I created it’s interesting to see the results. Aside from the favorite fruit question, the other polls are not based on how easy the fruit is to grow or it’s disease resistance. It’s strictly based on taste and texture and overall enjoyment.

The premise is this: Assuming that all fruit listed is at peak ripeness and you could pick any single piece to eat which one would you select? Have at it.

Favorite Fruit

• Apple
  • Apricot
  • Aprium
  • Blackberry
  • Blueberry
  • Cherry - Bush
  • Cherry - Sour
  • Cherry - Sweet
  • Cherimoya (For Joe)
  • Grapes
  • Figs
  • Hardy Kiwi
  • Jujube
  • Medlar
  • Mulberry
  • Nectarine
  • Paw-Paw
  • Peach
  • Pear - Asian
  • Pear - Euro
  • Persimmon
  • Plum - Euro
  • Plum - Japanese
  • Plumcot
  • Pluerry
  • Pluot
  • Pomegranate
  • Quince
  • Raspberry
  • Other

0 voters

If you had to choose only one European Pear to eat at peak ripeness what would it be?

• Abate Fetel
  • Ayers
  • Bartlett
  • Bella Di Giugno
  • Blakes Pride
  • Bosc
  • Clapps Favorite
  • Comice
  • Conseiller a la Coeur
  • D’Anjou
  • Doyenne D Juliette
  • Duchesse d’Angouleme
  • Fleming Beauty
  • Forelle
  • Gorhem
  • Harrow Crisp
  • Harrow Delight
  • Harrow Sweet
  • Harvest Queen
  • Hood
  • Keiffer
  • Magness
  • Moonglow
  • Orient
  • Potomac
  • Seckel
  • Southern King
  • Sunrise
  • Warren
  • Winter Nelis
  • Other

0 voters

If you had to choose only one Asian Pear to eat at peak ripeness what would it be?

• Chojuro
  • Drippin Honey
  • Hamese
  • Hosui
  • Ichiban Nashi
  • Ishiiwase
  • Korean Giant
  • Kosui
  • Mishirasu
  • Natika
  • 20th Century (Nijiseiji)
  • Seuri
  • Shinko
  • Shinseiki
  • Tsu Li
  • Ya Li
  • Yoinashi
  • Yongi
  • Other

0 voters

If you had to choose only one Plum (Euro or Japanese) to eat at peak ripeness what would it be?

• Beauty
  • Black Amber
  • Burbank
  • Burgandy
  • Elephant Heart
  • Emerald Beaut
  • Fortune
  • Friar
  • Golden Nectar
  • Hollywood
  • Howard Miracle
  • Kelsey
  • Laroda
  • Lavinia
  • Mariposa
  • Methley
  • Ozark Premier
  • Purple Heart
  • Ruby Queen
  • Santa Rosa
  • Satsuma
  • Shiro
  • Superior
  • Toka
  • Wickson
  • Blue Damson
  • Bluebyrd
  • Castleton
  • Green Gage
  • Italian Prune
  • Long John
  • LY9
  • Middleburg
  • Rosy Gage
  • Seneca
  • Stanley
  • Sugar plum
  • Spring Satin
  • Valor
  • Victory
  • Other

0 voters

If you had to choose only one Peach to eat at peak ripeness what would it be?

• Arctic Supreme
  • Athena
  • Autumn Star
  • Baby Crawford
  • Belle of Georgia
  • Clayton
  • Contender
  • Cresthaven
  • Dessert Gold
  • Early Crawford
  • Elberta
  • Ernie’s Choice
  • Eve’s Pride
  • FF Series Peaches
  • Galaxy
  • Glenglo
  • Gold Dust
  • Golden Gem
  • Golden Jubilee
  • Halehaven
  • Harkin
  • Indian Free
  • Intrepid
  • Kit Donnell
  • Lady Nancy
  • Loring
  • May Pride
  • Mid Pride
  • New Haven
  • O’Henry
  • PF Series Peaches
  • Red Baron
  • Red Haven
  • Red Top
  • Reliance
  • Rich Lady
  • Rich May
  • Rio Oso gem
  • Saturn
  • Sweet Blaze
  • Scarlet Prince
  • Sun Haven
  • Sweet Bagel
  • Tang O
  • Summerset
  • Winblo
  • Other

0 voters

If you had to choose only one Apricot to eat at peak ripeness what would it be?

• Autumn Glo
  • Blenheim
  • Chinese Sweet Pit
  • Early Autumn
  • Early Blush
  • Flavor Giant
  • Flora Gold
  • Florilege
  • Gold Kist
  • Golden Amber
  • Golden Sweet
  • Harcot
  • Harglow
  • Hargrande
  • Harogem
  • Hunza
  • Katy
  • Monique White
  • Moorpark
  • Nugget
  • Orangered
  • Puget Gold
  • Riland
  • Robada
  • Tilton
  • Tomcot
  • Wenatchee Moorpark
  • Other

0 voters

If you had to choose only one Nectarine to eat at peak ripeness what would it be?

• Arctic Blaze
  • Arctic Glo
  • Arctic Jay
  • Arctic Queen
  • Arctic Rose
  • Arctic Star
  • Arctic Sweet
  • Avalon
  • Cavalier
  • Desert Delight
  • Double Delight
  • Eastern Glo
  • Fantasia
  • Flavortop
  • Hardired
  • Harko
  • Honey Blaze
  • Honey Bowl
  • Honey Flame
  • Honey Glo
  • Honey Kist
  • Honey Lite
  • Honey Royale
  • Jade
  • John Rivers
  • June Glow
  • Le Grand
  • Lord Napier
  • Mercicrest
  • Nectafest
  • Redgold
  • Silver Gem
  • Snow Brite
  • Snow Queen
  • Spice Zee (Nectaplum)
  • Summer Beaut
  • Sunglo
  • Other

0 voters

If you had to choose only one Pluot to eat at peak ripeness what would it be?

• Dapple Dandy
  • Dapple Supreme
  • Emerald Drop
  • Flavorosa
  • Flavor Finale
  • Flavor Grenade
  • Flavor King
  • Flavor Queen
  • Flavor Supreme
  • Geo Pride
  • Splash
  • Other

0 voters

6 Likes

Come on ya’ll. I was sure this would get more response. If everyone that responded to the location map answered the polls we could have some pretty interesting lists.

2 Likes

I voted

2 Likes

Speedster, put the polls here and you may get more response - the forum has a built in poll feature that is easy to use.

http://blog.discourse.org/2015/08/improved-polls-in-discourse/

3 Likes

I had no idea scott. I’ll try to convert them over tomorrow when I have some time to do it.

1 Like

Asian pears and apricots, but no apples?

1 Like

A man who has excluded Cherimoya from the Favorite Fruits list is clearly a man who has never tasted a Cherimoya.

2 Likes

@speedster1, thanks for conversion effort. The forum will be more useful for it.

Haha. As I mentioned in the original post I’m not sure how to create an good apple list. The software I was using only allows so a certain number of items for each poll. If you’d like to narrow an apple list down to around 40 or so varieties I’ll add it. But I can guarantee there would be more people selecting “Other” than there would the varieties listed. A lot of peoples favorite apple is some obscure english variety or some club apple. An apple list if very difficult.

[quote=“joehewitt, post:8, topic:5462, full:true”]
A man who has excluded Cherimoya from the Favorite Fruits list is clearly a man who has never tasted a Cherimoya.
[/quote]Huh? Never heard of it.

1 Like

RATS! I went through the hassle convert the polls and they looked find in the preview pane but when I went to finalize them it said I was limited to 20 poll answers.

1 Like

Sorry about that! It is a configurable option though, and I just set it to 100. Hopefully you saved the file.

1 Like

Scott that seemed to work fine. Hopefully people that filled out the prior polls deside to fill the new polls out again. This method is certainly quicker. Took me all of 45 seconds to fill out all the polls again.

Thanks for letting me know about this feature.

Cherimoya, google it! Every person I’ve given their first taste of Cherimoya has agreed with me that it’s one of the best fruits they’ve ever had. The season for California-grown Cherimoya is just winding down.

precisely. And there are plenty more in the league of cherimoya that have been excluded.

in fairness, this forum is far from being cosmopolitan, since most of us here are in america, and growing what each is able/permitted in one’s local conditions(in continental usa). So what many of us think as ‘the best’ is, of course, limited to the ‘best’ which could be grown in one’s region of north america.

3 Likes

So many questions, and only one that I’m even remotely able to answer.

And maybe not even that one, since I’ve never had a cherimoya. :wink:

“We had an abundance of mangoes, papaias and bananas here, but the pride of the islands, the most delicious fruit known to men, cherimoya, was not in season. It has a soft pulp, like a pawpaw, and is eaten with a spoon.” (Mark Twain, The Sacramento Daily Union, October 25, 1866, Kilauea, June, 1866

As for me, I didn’t like the one I tried… though I am a big fan of Twain.

3 Likes

Great idea Speedster. Thanks for putting this together.

twain already knew pawpaw belongs to the cherimoya family :slightly_smiling:

I’ve heard of custard apple but had never heard the proper name. The flesh looks like paw paw but the seeds are smaller and the fruit is round rather than kidney shaped. Even the discription of flavor sounds like paw paw. Pinapple, banana, etc.

Does Cherimoya taste like Sugar Apple (also confusingly called Custard Apple)? I see different Wiki pages.