Pomegranate not flowering?

So, my small Pom seedling for some reason has chosen to not push out any flowers/fruit this year, and I’m not quite sure why?

It’s a small tree, maybe 5’ but whispy. Last year it put out 10 or so flowers (which fell off). I thought this year it would have been at least equal, but this year just seems to be foliage and branch growth only. Normal?

I decided to do a good pruning last week since this year has turned out to be a dud.

3 Likes

did you have late frost this spring - after tree pushed out it’s leaves? here we had late frost which wilted the green leaves that pushed in early spring. afterwards, i noticed much less blooms push in mid-spring.

2 Likes

Actually not. We had a very wet cool spring, but no real frosts after the leaf out. It’s strange cause otherwise it’s growing nice and healthy and full. Just no blooms.

1 Like

I have no experience with Pom seedlings, but all my Poms (named varieties) had good bloom and fruit set this year.

Frankly, I would hate to waste orchard space and time on a Pom seedling of unknown quality when so many top quality cultivars are available. Some of my neighbors have Pom seedlings and most fruit from these that I tasted is inferior. I have rooted a bunch of cuttings from CRFG this year, multiple varieties, and will have extras if you want any.

2 Likes

Thanks Stan. I’d love if you could spare any. The one I have is a wonderful from DWN. It’s so odd because again, it’s full branching like crazy and looks healthy. If there’s no fruit set next year, out she goes.

1 Like

Sure, let’s get in touch when the planting season starts (November?).

2 Likes

Pomegranate seedlings can be very unreliable until they get big enough, thick enough. Is this tree in the ground? Some seedlings do not produce well until they are well established in the ground. Sometimes even cloned pomegranate bushes can refuse to produce.

1 Like

I planted three Wonderful and two Russia types of Pom’s this year. They were blooming before our early season kill back of the foliage and I thought the plants would die. All of them started back growing a few weeks later and bloomed but all the flowers dropped. I really don’t know what to expect going forward but I’m thinking the plants need to get established before holding the fruit.

2 Likes

For sure.
Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah, she’s in the ground.Maybe next spring it bounces back…It better lol

1 Like

Thats more or less what I’m thinking.

2 Likes

A lot of varieties the first year they have flowers there are only male flowers, and if the bushes get damaged in a way that stops flowering there could be just only male flowers again. The problem with pomegranate bushes is that different varieties react different to the same damage, to the same conditions, so only if a person knows how their variety(s) reacts to what they can not know what to expect. I am thinking about replacing our Salavatski with something that does not have their flowers reset every time there is damage, not all varieties do that.

3 Likes

Thanks

1 Like