Pomelo, anyone?

Very nice article! I just bought 8 more pommelos from the Asian market and that will keep me happy for another month,

Tony

@murky, if I find them around town in the future, I’ll give them another try. It’s certainly been a while. :smile:

Disfrutando,

Thank you for a great article. If I were to live in CA, I would grow Thong Dee and Valentine pomelos.

By the way, Thong (pronounced Tong) means gold. Dee means good. Thong Dee literally means Good Gold.
Many names (fruit, places, people) in Thailand have the word Thong (with a silent h) in it. Gold is good indeed.

I love to eat pomelos!. Take patient to peel off the white membrane and separate each section, but it is fun to do, and reward is great :yum:

Hmm…

I always thought grapefruit is grapefruit: sour and bitter, even some bitterness after taste! Not knowing it has sweet cousin, the Pomelo! I though people put up some fancy names to sell more of the same…

I’ll check this pomelo out then. Too bad that my wife can’t since she’s taking statin for her high blood pressure.

Thanks to Mamuang to bring up this subject and many others to warn about its potential problems for statin takers.

Tom

1 Like

Just bear in mind that, as with most fruit, some are better than others due to variety and conditions.

I bought a huge one today at the grocery store. I take Cozaar for high blood pressure. Not sure if it’s considered a statin or not. I’ll cut it up and let me daughter eat it.

The best ones I’ve had look the most plain inside. Pale, dry. The ones with blush, or that look juicy haven’t been as good. But it may have been particular to the variety and locale.

Typical after lunch portion:

1 Like

cozaar is for bp control and is not a statin. Have more grapefruit!

I was in NYC this weekend for a badminton tournament, so I stopped by Chinatown (in Flushing) to get some fruit on the way home. This thread reminded me to get a couple Pomelo.

These are huge (more than 7" wide and 6" tall unpeeled and 6"x5"x3.5" peeled), pictured below with a good-sized pomegranate, a grapefruit, and an orange for size comparison. Parts of the flesh were good, while other parts were too dry. I like “not-drippy” dry, but want some juice to get released when I chew (not drier than a raisin).

1 Like

ugly outside, then plain and a bit dry inside, those are the best!

1 Like

I just ate the one I purchased with my daughter and it was awesome. It was kinda dry but really nice flavor. Like a sweat grapefruit but less bitter. I really enjoyed it. Would like to buy more.

Tried my first pomelo yesterday. It had just the right amount of tart and sweet balance. I wish my climate would allow me to grow it. Bill

I am glad a few of us give pomelos a try. I hope the first timer do not get the sour ones!!

When I buy pomelos, I try to pick ones with closest shade of yellow. If all are dark green, I leave them on a counter for several days. I may leave them until skin softens and starts to wrinkle. Acidity seems to go down as I wait.

1 Like

Mamuang,

Here are some photos of Pomelos grown in Vietnam.

Tony

3 Likes

Tony, the fruits are fantastic as are your photographs! What is the fruit in the second picture. Same fruit, different variety? Looks more like a gourd.

MrsG,

They are Pomelos but the farmer strapped a plastic band on the top 3rd portion of the fruits to shape them into the gourd form for a better looking Pomelos and higher sale prices.

Tony

How clever, that is a beautiful shape. Good marketing!

Tony,

Great pictures. The making of those gourd-like pomelos are very creative. Thanks for posting.

Clint, that would definitely NOT be a pummelo, but a grapefruit. Pummelos are very sweet. Get yourself a Chandler or a Valentine tree. I promise you, you will just love them. They take a bit more to prep - very thick skin and a tougher core - but worth the little extra cutting needed. I peel the membrane like Murky explained. We can grow them like nobody’s business. Just delicious.

2 Likes