Pristine apple reveiw

Thank u rob

For whatever itā€™s worth, Purdue here,

rates Pristine as very resistant to scab, resistant to fireblight and powdery mildew, and susceptible to CAR,
but rates Ginger Gold as very susceptible to scab, fireblight, and CAR, and susceptible to powdery mildew.
If these kind of ratings matter at all, thatā€™s a dramatic difference.

I can vouch for the firelight problems on GG, I nearly lost my graft. Also I get very little scab but GG got it pretty badly. Not a low-spray variety!

I thought I didnā€™t have Pristine but in fact I grafted it several years ago. One problem with too many grafts in the orchardā€¦

Scott

Pristine does get some CAR, but I noted it as light to moderate. Nothing on the level of GoldRush or Honey Crisp. And this from an area with very high CAR pressure.

Hi Iā€™ve had a Pristine for 9 years. It started fruiting in second leaf. I love the apples, they are sweet and very juicy with a bit of tartness. Last year was my worst year with the tree as I over pruned. This year should be excellent. 0 bug or fungus probs. Mrs. G

4 Likes

Another positive review! Very pleased to hear this.

Just put Pristine on my have to have list for next year :smile:.

I just had my first Pristine apple (from my tree). I loved it! Itā€™s flavour reminded me of apple candy, somewhat like a ripe Granny Smith. It also reminded me of baked apples. The texture was not great: hard/dense and not very juicy. But the flavour (sugar, acidity, aromas): wow!

16 Likes

Gets juicier if left on the tree until it is yellow, not greenish-yellow.

3 Likes

Agreed, a little longer makes them even better.

This year I have this evil tribe of crows in the orchard and they stole all but a couple of mine :frowning: The couple that I did eat were wonderful, one of the better early apples. I also had some really good State Fair. Too many early apples are mushy or lack flavor.

4 Likes

I think of a Pristine apple as Goldrush Jr. It has has much of the same sweet/tart flavor as Goldrush but on a less intense level. Many have commented on having having fireblight issues with Pristine but no fb on my 5th leaf tree.

Have been enjoying Pristine the last 3 weeks, sliced up with some peanut butter and they make a mighty fine snack.

Here is my comparison report from last summer of Pristine and itā€™s summer competitor Monark.

Monark comparison

3 Likes

Pristines made great applesauce too!

Had to revive this as Iā€™m so happy with Pristine. This was a rough year for apple set, but not for Pristine. They way over set. The apples themselves are getting very little bug damage with no spray. So far no disease issues and a quick grower.

Overall I rate it a great east coast apple.

5 Likes