Prok and Yates American persimmons

Prok tastes a little milder than Yates. Not as strong perfume taste and just about the right sweetness. I like it better than Yates.

Tony

4 Likes

Thanks. Will ask that friend if he has any Prok left.

He told me his Prok tree died. Too bad.

1 Like

Is it worth growing both in your opinion? Or just Prok?

Tony are you the one with experience wrapping kaki persimmons? Have you tried the less cold-hardy Hachiya with your method? Was there dieback?

Instead of stuffing with leaves, would just wrapping with a 2.5 oz heavyweight frost blanket be enough? No tarp? It’s supposed to offer up to ten degrees protection… I’m zone 5b/6a.

I got a 7 years old Ichi non-astringent Asian persimmon in ground and wrapped up with a light bulb yearly. I have not try the Zone 7 Hachiya. I do have 4 Tam Kam and a Greatwall in pots for trials. I am more into the cold hardy Hybrids now like Rossyanka, JT-02, Nikita’s Gift, and Kasandra. I am getting old and not sure if I wanted to do Winter protection on the less cold hardy Kaki anymore.

Tony

2 Likes

How does Early Golden compare to Prok and Yates? Would I be happy with Prok as my only American, or is Yates something not to be missed?

1 Like

I would go with Prok. Very large American persimmon. Self fruitful and very tasty. No trace of Astringency when soft ripe.

Tony

4 Likes

I have not had Prok, but I can vouch for the flavor of Yates. They are delicious. Mine were seedless as well, and as far as I know there are no male trees in my neighborhood. They were also a month earlier than Nikita’s Gift or Saijo in my maritime WA State orchard. There was some astringency in the skin, and they are not very large - similar in size to sweet treat pluerry.JPGJPG

8 Likes

I have Prok already :slight_smile: I am just debating if I need Yates or Early Golden too, or is Prok similar enough that I won’t be missing out on anything special. ??

Instead of getting a Yates, get an excellent Hybrid like JT-02, the best of both worlds in good taste and cold hardy. Steven, SMC, got some fruits from Cliff England to try out. You can buy one at nuttrees.net.

Tony

1 Like

That looks really good, how big is the tree?

Maybe 8 feet tall. I think this was its 3rd leaf, maybe 4th.

@tonyOmahaz5 Tony- or anyone else- is any of your American persimmon varieties notably precocious?

How long on average does it take an American persimmon graft to bear fruit? (Not talking about a newly planted tree- just topworking). Thanks.

I had fruit this year on both of two Ruby trees I grafted in '14, and they were very tasty.

1 Like

Prok coming along nicely this year. Looking forward to these and my first taste of 100-46 this year.

14 Likes

Hey SMC_zone6, how did the 100-46 taste compared to other persimmon you’ve tried (like Prok)?
I’m curious as I have a 100-46 in front of my house and a Prok in the back (my WS-810 died, but maybe you’ve tried that one too to compare the 3? Debating putting another WS-810 in the back).

Prok was the best. I haven’t tried WS-810, but I think if you have space for another persimmon you should consider the hybrid JT-02. That’s probably my favorite persimmon I’ve tasted across the board – hybrids, American, and kaki.

2 Likes

Does anyone have any experience with inter stem grafting? Being in zone 5 I’m limited to Virginia or hybrids. But if I grafted Rosseyanka as an interstem between Virginia rootstock and say Prok what would the dwarfing effects be if any?

1 Like

Rosseyanka takes on the growth characteristic of Virginiana, except a bit of hybrid vigor. JT-02 is reported to have a slow spreading habit. Also, Lehman’s Delight is a small grower.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I was really hoping to hear that it was give at least some vascular restriction to end up with a smaller tree. I have one potted Nikita’s gift and from everything I’ve read on here it’s gonna stay potted for a while.

1 Like