Protecting your fruit from squirrel's and other critters

Hah…yes I wish there was an unlike button…

It had ants all over it, so I tossed it in the woods…they like the peanut butter and birdseed well enough, figure I’ll stick with that.

1 Like

Sorry to see that, Jeremy. Best of luck with your other fruit.

I am so excited, my tube trap arrived late yesterday aft. but came with zero instructions. Baiting? Setting? Help please!

1 Like

The instructions were inside mine.

But I think the trigger is missing

mine didn’t have any instructions either. if you go to the website they have videos that show how to set it, also the instructions are here:

1 Like

Thanks! From that clear photo I can see that the trigger on mine is indeed missing!

Back it goes!

Thanks so much!!!

1 Like

Well, my tube trap arrived, thought it might be nice to have a glass of wine in the orchard to watch the squirrel games this evening, but. . . I am not strong enough to set the trap. Tried my hands, foot, need a youth! But at least the squirrels will have practice with it as I slathered the peanut butter on the paddle! Tomorrow’s another day! Finished planting my tomatoes today!

4 Likes

They sell that lever …

2 Likes

A lever to set the trap? Help😩

2 Likes

Did you nail the trap down to something? I have my traps nailed to 2x4s which are firmly bungeed into place. Then you can use two hands to set the trap. Its very hard to set if the tube can move.

1 Like

http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/animal/TUBESET-A.html

1 Like

Was wondering why you attached it to a board. I have a handy man who will do that for me! Thanks Scott!

1 Like

Thanks Itilton!!!:heart_eyes:

1 Like

This step is important to do before you catch the animal- it is not a good experience for either you or it when you think you have a container big enough, but it isn’t quite…

I’ve never needed bricks- metal cages should sink without any assistance.

I’ve been getting a lot of chipmunk damage on my strawberries. I’ve tried this for the fist time and it seems pretty effective. 2 during the first day and 1 overnight. The nice thing here is that it can catch a bunch without me needing to reset it.

I’m hoping that squirrels can be interested in this as well, but so far it is only chipmunks. I may need to add more water at the bottom to get squirrels- I bet they can jump out if it isn’t too deep. And there is probably only so many times they will try their luck on the peanut butter wheel. Looks like an event out of the American Ninja Warrior TV show.

I don’t use the Kania traps, but I have caught the neighbors cat once in a Have-a-Heart. The trap must have been unpleasant enough (even without a bath) for him that he never went in again…

10 Likes

Awesome Bob. I’ve seen this before for mice. Tried it but never caught any. I’d love to hear if you catch any squirrels. Be nice if the game camera could show if they outsmart it and how.

1 Like

It’s in the plan, but the batteries died. Once it is back up and running you can be sure I’ll try to get some video. I’m curious if any of the critters are getting to eat some PB before falling. Or if any are particularly acrobatic and escape.

4 Likes

I was one inch short with the chipmunk trap - that was a determined varmint!

2 Likes

Update on my squirrel year…

I have had much higher success with the Kania traps, I still have not had to put out my tube traps. I think my new baiting method is working much better. I have been “wasting” more peanut butter than usual, squeezing it into the grating that you bait and letting it fall all over the place. Its a standard thing to do when baiting a trap to put mast outside the trap, but before I had been putting just a little outside compared to inside. Now I am putting as much outside as inside almost. On the tube traps last year I was having better luck than the Kanias, but I think it was because I was putting plenty of peanut butter outside each end of the tube plus some in the tube on the way to the hammer. The squirrels are leery of a trap, your goal is to help them to a point where their greed overcomes their fear.

4 Likes

Curious,… Is there a cheap $5-$10 kinda thing I can buy off Amazon pre-assembled?
I’m pretty crafty too, but dont have time to make custom stuff on weekends or after work right now.

1 Like