Protecting your fruit from squirrel's and other critters

Reporting some success keeping squirrels out of fruit trees by bending sheets of flashing around the trunk. Stovepipe working too, tho it’s pretty short

2 Likes

If I were staying here I would buy concertina wire!

1 Like

Can’t they climb that?

1 Like

Not without shredding their paws.

1 Like

Anne, so far the vermin have left my citrus alone, except for the occasional picked fruit. They bite the peeling and decide they do not like it. This year squirrels, birds, opossums, and raccoons hit my fruit trees and berries hard but have left the citrus alone. Makes me think I should plant more citrus and less stone fruits. I trapped 20 squirrels, 4 opossums, and 1 raccoon and did not trap that hard. No one in the neighborhood feeds birds and I was surprised how many squirrels I had.

2 Likes

Ya might wanna check with your HOA on that one.

2 Likes

Don’t live in a development. I think I was kidding though. :ok_hand:.

3 Likes

BAIT STEALER! Something steals the bait in my squirrel trap without tripping the trap. I have two very long, maybe 30 or 36 inch Tomahawk traps. What animal can get all the way to the back of the cage, remove an entire apple or ear of corn and not step on the trigger plate? I am baffled.

Any ideas? Getting very discouraged by squirrels. Thought I had relocated almost all of them but my apples are almost all gone.

I bought a couple nets from American Netting as Alan recommended. May put them on today. Not sure if a squirrel can chew through them.

1 Like

I’ve seen young squirrels getting in and out of my Havaheart trap and taking baits away without tripping the trap.

Squirrels can chew through American nettings. I can show you many chewing holes my netting has.

3 Likes

Thanks. Can squirrels chew through polypropylene nets?

1 Like

I use peanut butter because they have to work a long time on the plate to get it off and it will eventually fire. Just spread it right on the plate.

My peanut butter is getting stolen by birds, thats the problem with it. But the squirrels rarely steal the PB and get away with it.

2 Likes

With peanut better, chipmunks eat it most of the time. They are so small and light and never trigger a trap.

1 Like

Don’t think we have chipmunks here, maybe too far south. I will switch to PB tomorrow. Thanks Scott. Also had good talk with Rick at Kencove fence. Very helpful info about electric fence options.

1 Like

That’s the 1st problem. Transporting a nuisance. :blush:

If you have a game camera they are the best way to see how our trapping efforts are spoiled.

1 Like

There’s a huge forest across the river that serves the purpose nicely.

1 Like

They come back

1 Like

Maybe different ones come back but not the deported ones unless they can build a raft or swim a wide river.

2 Likes

Looks like the next wave of squirrels is infiltrating our yard. Got 2 hits in the Kania and 4 hits in the tube traps over the past 3-days. I just chased one out of the tomatoes and re-applied more peanut butter to both machines. Curious how our property differs from Scotts. My tube traps are outworking my Kania’s by like 8/1.

2 Likes

Thats what I got about a week ago. For the last 3-4 days I have not had a single squirrel sighting so I think my wave is over for now. My guess is there is a cycle of young leaving their nests and looking for new homes which leads to a migration wave in this period. For me it always coincides with my Gold Dust peach ripening, like clockwork. Then they clear out Nectar and John Rivers, along with my Seckel pears. Then its over. Same thing every year.

I don’t understand the tube vs Kania, my Kanias did really badly last year but this year I didn’t even need to put out the tube traps until July. I am still getting more Kania than tube catches this year. It may be due to using more bait and spreading more bait outside the trap on the Kanias. I have been putting peanut butter in the mesh at the top and pushing it through so it is stringing down and lots also falling to the ground.

3 Likes

I have deported 55 this year over the river. And still they come. Cat food in a can looks like best trap bait so far, thanks to someone here for that tip.

3 Likes