Pruning Bark Grafts on a Large Apple Limb

Here are four bark grafts I did two years ago on four inch diam. branch of old apple tree, part of four year makeover. Should I remove three grafts completely? now?, leaving one; OR head back three to just a few inches tall leaving the fourth to dominate? Thanks.

big bark graft 2.pdf (344.4 KB)

1 Like

The whole idea is to keep one after the others you grafted for back up only. So yes, your inclination is spot on.

Dax

1 Like

Thanks. Would you entirely remove three grafts now or just reduce size to use them to help heal the large cut surface?

Not sure why you couldn’t keep 2 or 3 and spread them for an open center

Hmmm. I think in a couple years they would be touching, rubbing. I would like to end up with just one dominant graft but not sure how achieve that plus use the others temporarily to heal the wound.

No, cut them off while it’s still dormant to get maximum growth from the one you select to keep. You don’t need a sealant but you might time the removal for when you spray - if you spray. Or paint over them with your white latex.

The branch you keep will bulk up before you know it. Vigor will be overwhelming.

Dax

1 Like

Great information Dax, many thanks. Want to make sure I understand, you suggest painting with white latex over the fresh wounds where I cut off three of the scions? I’ll do this today.

I have other limbs where the scions are not nearly as vigorous and worry if I remove all but one there the stump may take a long, long time to heal. Any idea about that situation?

I have also seen people saw off the corner of the stump to make it easier for the scion to heal the wound.