Purple reign

starting to ripen… We had a long winter, so just now seeing some action

11 Likes

Just the opposite here in North Florida…We had such a mild winter that my tree is already finished with fruiting. A month or so ago I looked up into my twenty foot ‘Pakistan’ and said “What am I going to do with all these fruit?” as it was incredibly loaded. Fast forward…It wasn’t a problem: Humans aren’t the only creatures on this planet that think “Bigger is better”, all my animal friends obviously believe that also…They ravished that tree, even though there were other fruiting mulberries nearby.

4 Likes

I did eat ONE Oscar yesterday. Not quite ripe but figured I might as well get it before the birds did!

3 Likes

Raf, yours are way ahead of mine. They are still green.

5 Likes

channeling my martha stewart with a basic sundae of yogurt, cinnamon cashews and pak berries

sadly the longest/fattest and nody ones are more likely to fall victim to gravity during windy weather

15 Likes

Save me a bowl Raf!

2 Likes

Oh wow! That looks delicious! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

That I don’t have any…

1 Like

if you have a spare alba branch to graft onto, wouldn’t hurt to try a vegas twiggie :slight_smile:

i hope you don’t have frosty springs…

1 Like

I do…and I didn’t this year so I’m eating a few early mulbs but it won’t happen very often…

1 Like

pak leafs out quite early, but won’t hurt to try

3 Likes

I may have to try again… They do look good…

1 Like

Is one better off grafting high or low?

How vigorous is Pakistan? I might have a place to overwinter it, if it remains small like nigra…

Scott

2 Likes

it is a relatively vigorous species. It was a self-rooted specimen(or at least it seemed like) when received it from burntridge. Here in vegas, it grew ~8 feet in one summer(several uprights), but slowed down thereafter and seemed to have devoted most of its growth on laterals, which are more productive of berries per unit length of stem.

have to say it is a fast grower compared to nigras and gerardi’s, even in full sun, with hardly any shortening of internode stems… The laterals have shorter internodes, so might benefit to keep laterals and top off at the apical buds.

1 Like

The Pakistan I bought from Burntridge put out root suckers for the first time,this season and they are different than the top.bb

1 Like

that’s interesting. If my tree, which couldn’t even call a tree due to the bush-like stance, is actually grafted to a generic alba, then that somehow indicates ‘dwarfish’ growth of pak here in vegas,. Generic albas wont slow down in growth at 8 ft tall.

1 Like

All fruits on this Pakistan and hardly any leaves yet.

9 Likes

Pak in nebraska? @tonyOmahaz5 has it ! And is absolutely loaded!
Is that budwood i gave you? And is it potted?

3 Likes

Yep. I bark grafted to 3 large wild Mulberry rootstocks. All three trees are loaded the last 2 years. Thanks for the bud woods.

Here are the other 2 trees

7 Likes

Here’s a photo of a root stock sucker on the left and a shoot coming out at right,just above the graft union.bb

2 Likes