Q: re potting up apple rootstock for a year

I have 25 3/8" G.41 apple rootstock arriving in the semi-near future. I need to pot these up after I bench graft them and keep them in my nursery area for a year while I prepare the field they’re going into. How big of a pot should I use? Or how small of a pot can i use? I’d love to get away with using Treepots, just not sure what size would be appropriate. Does anyone have any suggestions?

BTW - here’s what’s in the potting shed available for use: 1G Airpots, 3G Rootmakers, 5G Rootmakers. I’d rather use something more compact like a TP49 or CP512.

I put a Jonafree on Bud9 in 5 gallon tall pot. It grew well (2’), probably could’ve gotten away with a #3 no problem.

1 Like

I think 3 gal is a good sized.

Ok, but how small can I go? 25 or 50 3g containers will overwhelm my current nursery setup.

A nursery near me pots up B9 Apple bench grafts in 1 Gal containers and sells them in the fall. At that time the trees are not fully rooted to the pot.

2 Likes

I’ll be watching this one for the exact same reasons. I’ll have 20-some G.41s I plan to bench graft this spring and they’ll do a year in the pots before transplant to their permanent homes. My local orchard friend showed me what he’s been using and the pots seemed to be about 16-18" tall and maybe 18" diameter. He easily had 3-4’ of first year growth on his grafts. I didn’t ask what pot size they were, but I’m moving to pots this year from bags last year. The bags worked fine, but they just aren’t user friendly when trying to fill nor move about through the year.

1 Like

Last year I purchased two bench grafts on Bud9. When they arrived, I potted them up in 1G Airpots. When I up-potted them recently, I found they had not fully rooted in the pot. They had a good 5-6 feet of scion growth, so I don’t think they were held back.

1 Like

I used 2 gallon pots for my five b9 apple grafts last spring. They all put on 2-3 feet of growth and none were rootbound when I planted them in the fall.

1 Like