Questions not deserving of a whole thread

Ok so here’s another question that doesn’t deserve a thread .
I’m going to spray sulfur on my peach and grape. Is it ok to add some soap to it as I’ve noticed aphids on the trees.

My sulfur spray says not to use it on grapes. : .

1 Like

Really? Mine says you can. It’s Bonide powder.

Mines Bonide also, but liquid. Fruit, Nut and Orchard spray. They must have a little different composition. . .

Sulphur does damage grape leaves.

A few grape varieties are sensitive to sulphur but I took the approach of assuming it was OK and stopping if I noticed problems. I never noticed any problems. I have sprayed sulphur on my grapes several times this year.

I would not mix sulphur with either oil or soap though, it can burn leaves.

@VSOP, I see your question above did not get answered. You can mix Serenade and spinosad no problem, I have done it countless times.

6 Likes

Scott,
I read literature on sulphur when I was going to spray my concord and it said specifically sulphur could not be used. Maybe it is just certain grapes that are sensitive.

Yes, only some varieties are sensitive. That said, I sprayed supposedly sensitive grape varieties with it and never had problems. A similar condition holds for apricots but the usual pitch is to never spray sulphur on any apricots; I find most but not all varieties are OK with it.

1 Like

That is one of the primary virtues of this forum. When someone like Scott reports experience that contradicts the literature, you probably have cause to question the literature. Over the years, I have found so many assertions of university information sources to not apply to my situations that I take them with a grain of salt, in the same way I take the anecdotal experiences described here. You often have to experiment to find out what works for you and take all advice as suggestions and not as rules.

9 Likes

I ordered a Bramley Seedling apple. I haven’t ordered apple before and called this company inquiring as to size and condition that it would be shipped. I sent payment of which part was refunded because I ordered a “bearing age tree” and was charged for “a year old tree”. It actually measures 13-14 inches. It looks healthy but it is what appears to be a new graft taped up with masking tape. The rootstock scratches green and the scion is wax dipped. Is this common to be sent a fresh graft? I tried to upload a picture but it won’t upload.

1 Like

You got a bench graft. Treat it carefully and it will grow to a nice tree

3 Likes

It hopefully will thrive. But no, it’s not common nor good practice to sell a fresh graft as yours obviously is.

2 Likes

Here’s the photo of the tree. We’re having temps in solid 80’s–a little cooler than normal for us. I potted the tree and have it where it gets mostly shade. I do have a greenhouse that has muted sun but it gets really hot in there. Where is the best place to keep this little fellow until it starts growing?

Kate

1 Like

That’s where I start my bench grafts, put them out in the orchard the second year.

I had bad peach leaf curl this year despite putting on 3 sprays of copper soap (2 fall, 1 late dormant).

Now it is rainy and cold (48F).

Do I need to worry about another round of infection?

Late dormant- what does that mean? Were trees starting to grow?

In spite of a cool wet spring, I got excellent results at 3 sites that have been hammered in the past- and on a lot of trees at each site (5-20). I put the copper spray down right before first growth- no green showing yet but showing about a week later. This year I used Kocide.

A single application in Spring has consistently provided results of disease reduction to the point of having only a couple of most susceptible varieties with a few damaged leaves- not enough to matter, even for these.

Trees should be pruned wide open with underside shoots removed from the tree. Shaded leaves are most susceptible (invasion points) as are entire trees blocked from eastern sun, which delays the evaporation of morning dew.

Peaches in my region are one of the better species to grow in relatively shady sites, but PLC is one issue to be concerned about.

1 Like

I did the copper soap (Bonide product) application at the max labeled rate on 3/28, which was before peaches were showing green here.

I will have to get Kocide. I keep procrastinating on it, because it is expensive, and I wanted to use this soap stuff up.

You are, of course, right on the lower branches. The lower branches on my tree are much worse affected.

I also think I can get away with lower scaffolds on peach the new trees I planted as compared to apple, because my deer don’t seem to be inclined to eat peach foliage.

My recollection of that is it has very little copper. Get Kocide or any other fixed copper product.

I don’t know much about using copper but I’ve been using Southern AG Liquid Copper Fungicide from Home Depot for several years with good results. It’s Copper ammonium 31.4%.

Try Keystone pesticides and other sources on the internet. Kocide comes in pretty big packages for a small orchard so Scott is right, just find any fixed copper product, although I also had success when I used Cueva, which is a soap, but probably better than Bonide as it is formulated for commercial use. I decided to save it for my tomatoes this year.