Quince on pear

Thanks Murky that tells we what I need to know.

You’re welcome. Someone else mentioned that pear may not dwarf quince. Well, my impression is that quince are naturally slow-growing. If anything it may be that quince are not put on pear, because they are already genetically low vigor and the under stock is probably prone to overgrow the scion with quince on pear.

1 Like

I grafted around 20 or so quince varieties onto Quince A roots, no help on the OP question here. I have enjoyed quince fruit for baking and preserves, the pectin that comes out of those fruit is amazing, even the soaked seeds exude it! Cooked texture is superb, and the aromatic quality is also quite wonderfully unique- that’s why I am trialing them here in the northern limits…I also rooted a few cuttings from dormant wood, other folks have described this as quite easy, I got around a bit less than half to take this way, though my grafted plants are way ahead of these now.

2 Likes

Not that you need my opinion on this Murky. I think your correct about the Quince being a natural dwarf/low vigor tree. It is my opinion that almost any dwarfing root stock would most likely be a smaller tree if left to grow out without grafting on top. On a side note I’m considering letting one of my M111/Bud9 grow out and incorporating it into my landscape. I’m pretty sure I will get a smaller apple tree with beautiful foliage.

1 Like

In defense of quince as an edible, the whooshing sound you may have heard a few weeks ago was various responders to my local Portland ads for free quince; 300 pounds was taken over just a few days. There are people who put the stuff to good use.

2 Likes

Larry,
What type of quince do you grow?

A single ‘pineapple’ quince tree. Good flavor when chewed fresh, but then you would have to swallow the equivalent of coarse sawdust. The fruit does require some work.

2 Likes

I can eat almost any fruit but the quince I tasted reminds me of your comment. It was a little tough to swallow. Just wondering if it would be better cooked.

Any cookery you an do with apples you can do with quince: Sauce, juice, bake, wine, etc.
Traditional quince recipes (jelly, membrillo, etc.) use small quantities of fruit.

1 Like

Quince is for cooking. Have you ever tried green coffee beans?

1 Like

The “Jam” is membrillo, served with a sharp cheese and a cracker as tapas.

1 Like

I grew quince on pear for the last 3 years. I made several grafts all of which suddenly failed this year. I would say quince on pear is only partially compatible and will always fail long term.

3 Likes

Only graft pear on quince if that variety is compatible. Otherwise, graft it onto the pear afterwards.
John S
PDX OR

1 Like

I have pears on quince that are max 8 feet tall. They are old trees and wont’ get bigger. When you have quince, you prune it, stick it in the ground and it makes another tree. Graft onto that one too.
John S
PDX OR

3 Likes

Some quince has been cultivated to be good for fresh eating. Crimea by One Green World is also known as Krimskaya to the USDA CLonal Germplasm repository in Corvallis, OR.

Mine are fantastic fresh. Everyone likes them. I never cook them.
John S
PDX OR

4 Likes

Are there any updates on the quince you grafted onto your sister’s pear?

1 Like

I don’t visit the tree often. The quince is on lower branches. I don’t recall if the Aromatnaya limbs are dead now, or just shaded out and no vigor. I’ll have to remember to take another look. I don’t remember seeing any fruit the last couple of years.

It doesn’t get any pruning or care. The Hosui is very vigorous, and all the European pears are more vigorous than the quince. The Winter Banana apple grafts have held on like a champ though, and annually produce some apples.

1 Like

Thanks for responding.

I’ve got a big Bradford pear tree in the front yard I was hoping to stick a few quince varieties on to it just to hold the varieties over until next year and get some scion wood from them. I wouldn’t really be expecting to get any fruit from them or have any long term plans for them being on the pear tree.

From your experience, do you think the Bradford would be serviceable for that?

1 Like

I have no experience with Bradford pear. If its not quince compatible, perhaps you could use a compatible interstem.

1 Like

Pears grafted to quince work but quince on pears fails after several years.

1 Like