Rarest fruits in the world!

We are all aware there are some ultra rare fruits in the world we are missing out on but you might be surprised some of them are more healthy than anything we could imagine! 10 Rarest Fruits You Probably Haven't Even Heard Of - The Mysterious World. According to the article “ Cupuacu mainly grows in the wild Amazon rainforest. This fruit also cultivates in some parts of Peru. Growing 8 inches in length and weighing of 2 kg, cupuacu completely look like a wild fruit. This thick shelled fruit also has a soft tasty pulp inside.

The pulp of cupuacu fruit is very fragrant. It is a rich source of vitamin b1, b2 and b3. In fact, cupuacu is from the family of chocolate. It’s also tastes like chocolate.

Eating cupuacu could stimulate your immune system. Reducing the chances of heart diseases is an another benefit. The huge concentration of antioxidants in cupuacu also empowers the body tissues.“

Mangosteen fruit though somewhat rare I’ve been fortunate enough to try as shown in this thread Steady trickle of exotic fruits in the stores. There are several others on the above list I want to try in my lifetime. What are the best fruits you know of that are ultra rare fruits? I’ve heard a few of you talk commonly about eating a few of these rare fruits such as durian, miracle berries, etc. .if so please share your experiences. Is anyone growing any of them?

3 Likes

The health claims of these fruits are way overblown.

I’ve eaten rambutan, mangosteen, and cherimoya.

The former is okay. Tastes of grape and papaya with the texture of eating someone’s eyeball.

Mangosteen don’t ship well. I’ve often had rotten samples, but even the fresh ones were nothing exceptional. Weird white brain-like appearance lends a disagreable texture. Vaguely sweet and acidulous flavor is unique but nothing special to me.

Cherimoya looks like a freaky-deak pawpaw. My father-in-law raves that Chilean-grown cherimoya are delicious. The one I sampled from a U.S. grocery tasted and smelled awful to me-- maybe a bad sample. All the good elements of the pawpaw flavor and aroma were dialed down, and all the funky flavor elements were turned way up.

In my opinion, these things don’t hold a candle to a juicy Asian plum or tree-ripened peach.

I would like to try Miracle Fruit. I saw a bush at the Pittsburgh Conservatory but was not able to sample it.

6 Likes

agreed! I’m so sick of these huge claims of health benefits from all these uncommon fruits that get shared all over the internet and facebook. Just like how soursop gets touted to fight cancer. Oh please! Many people have been eating these fruits in the tropical countries yet they still get cancer. So many gullible out there, that don’t do research themselves. Non of these have any scientific research backing them, yet they get shared around like it’s fact and huge conspiracy that they’re kept from the public by the “big pharma”. UGH! sorry for venting, this stuff really irks me.

Cherimoyas are delicious! I do agree that the store bought ones are crap. Lots of really good varieties out there that are grown by hobbyist and collectors.

2 Likes

Bill Merrill claims that Jaboticaba are tasty. Might be worth a try.

He has successfully grown it in Calif and HI.

1 Like

I agree that these exotic fruit are more hype than anything else.

Right now, In Thailand, they are raving about new afruit like cape gooseberry, groundcherries while people in the US are raving about mangosteens!!!

I told my sisters, they have to pay me to eat groundcherries (which I consider poor quality tomatoes). Anything new and exotic are often promoted as something better than what we commonly have. Psychology 101.

I am lucky to have tried so many tropical, subtropical and temporate fruit for all these years. Health benefits are there when we eat fresh fruit instead of processed foods.

3 Likes

I’ve always wanted to try cloudberry, bilberry, and bog blueberry. all are supposedly native to my area but I’ve never come across them. i have arctic raspberry and thimbleberry growing now and hopefully get to taste them next season. although not really rare they aren’t available here so to me , they’re rare. going to start a patch of salmonberry also. i have bilberry and cloudberry seeds stratifying in my freezer that I’m attempting to grow next spring. would like to try to grow crowberry but haven’t found a seed source yet.

1 Like

I also would like to try bilberry.

2 Likes

I agree that uncommon fruits are over-hyped, but I do draw a distinction between fruits that are just uncommon to America, and those that are uncommon worldwide. If it’s uncommon everywhere, there’s probably a good reason why. If it’s common somewhere else but not here (persimmons, gooseberries), then it’s probably just a matter of historical chance, and worth looking into.

That said, there are surely some worthy fruits that just haven’t grabbed the attention of mankind at large yet, and I grow mostly to get stuff I can’t at the store, so I remain very interested in the weird fruits.

3 Likes

…I grow mostly to get stuff I can’t at the store, so I remain very interested in the weird fruits…

funny, that’s how I went from a single cherry, 1 Japanese plum, and 1 Asian pear to some 20 apples about half or less of which you can even find in an orchard around here, a half-dozen persimmons, 3 Mirabelle and like 5 gage plums, 2 peaches, a half-dozen Japanese and Japanese/American hybrid plums, etc…etc…etc…

worse, having those covered means I keep finding new things, like cornelian cherries, IL evebearing mulberry, currants, elders, etc. etc. etc.

I am growing them, but yes, I absolutely pay attention to stuff I can’t just pick up at Pick n Save and select accordingly

1 Like

Just think: The native American blueberry has only been cultivated for approx 100 years. They are still breeding low-chill varieties/ ones that can handle more alkaline soils, etc.

2 Likes

Matt,
I wish I was alive in 1000 years to eat that ping pong sized blueberry that would survive in my alkaline dirt I would name after you!

3 Likes

Haha

1 Like

The health claims do seem to be way overblown. Almost all fruits wherever grown contain vitamins and other essential nutrients. Many of the tropical fruits also get too much hype from Americans just because they are unusual. I’ve tried cupuacu and it’s OK but not special. Although I’ve had one or two varieties of rambutan that were quite good, most are forgettable and generally inferior to grapes. Same for lychee and longan. The rambutan relative pulusan is much better. Generally speaking I have found pawpaws to be superior to cherimoyas and it’s not usually even close. Mangosteens though can be quite good. The flavor is unique but subtle and does not survive time and distance very well. White sapotes are simply awesome. Canistels and mamey sapotes are quite different from any temperate fruits I can think of and well ripened ones are excellent. I love jackfruit but the flavor is not really that exceptional. The combination of flavor and texture just really appeals to me. Abiu can be very nice but it needs to be perfectly ripe. Starfruit is pretty forgettable. Black sapote is forgettable. Jaboticaba is OK but not great but there are many jaboticaba relatives that I have not tried. Starfruit is almost tasteless which is actually a good thing because it’s also potentially toxic to your kidneys. I like sweet tamarinds but not the tart tamarinds.

2 Likes

I disagree on lychee - I have eaten them in Asia and loved them. Unfortunately they only grow in the tropics.

2 Likes

I’ve eaten them in Asia too and consider them one of the most forgettable fruits in the world. The Chinese love them though so obviously tastes differ.

1 Like

Lychee is a sub tropical fruit. It needs some cold but not freezing weather to hold fruit.

1 Like

“I would like to try Miracle Fruit. I saw a bush at the Pittsburgh Conservatory but was not able to sample it.”
They don’t taste like much. Very difficult to grow as well requiring very low pH soil and water. Once you get over the making sour taste sweet, they are just a novelty.

2 Likes

I like lychee. The texture takes some getting used to but they can be delicious.

We can only offer our opinions about any of these exotic fruit based on our taste buds. Those who have not tasted them should take our opinions with a grain of salt.

If they would like to and have an opportunity, they should try it themselves and form their own opinions.

2 Likes

You said that very well @mamuang . @castanea has no doubt a great variety of fruit to choose from and knows fruits! I love lychee for their simple sweet citrus like taste. I love oranges , star fruit, and grapefruit too though so consider the source.