Rarest fruits in the world!

That’s a good point. It does seem like N Americans have done a poor job of developing our native fruits for whatever reason (except squash? Whyever did we go with squash over pawpaws?). Still, I think most of the “low-hanging fruit” has probably been picked. Not that it stopped me from putting Am Persimmons, pawpaws, and maypops in the ground. The weirder the better!

1 Like

I can see how that happens. After all, it’s not like I can get red-fleshed apples at the store. And since I have all these callery pears, it would be downright irresponsible to let all those free pear scions go to waste. And you know, I bet there’s space on the red-fleshed apple tree for a few additional varieties…

1 Like

I’ve tried most of the things mentioned on the list…sapote, rambutan, lychee, tamarind, jackfruit, etc… Few have driven me to attempt to grow them

I have attempted papaya and various guavas (like most of them… Though the pineapple guava could do with being seedless…I prefer fruit without rock hard seeds…)

Would like to try cloudberry too…along with yumberry… (I am growing 1-2 other myrtle fruiting plants, but haven’t tried fruit from them yet)

Anyone try akebia? Or that weird dead-man’s fingers fruiting plant?

I’m going to take another shot at actinidia polygama again next year…preferably the variety ‘hot pepper’

Scott

1 Like

I have grown two different types of akebia. Both had the same problem. Akebia basically has no flesh. It has a thick skin covering seeds which have a gel around them.The gel has a mild pleasant flavor. There’s really nothing to eat. If the flavor was spectacular they would be worth growing but the flavor is just OK.

1 Like

Dang I’m growing an akebia!

1 Like

You never know. You might fall in love with the flavor.

1 Like

I like the flavor of strawberry-guava but like you say: zillions of rock-hard seeds. I’ve never had seeds become an issue for a fruit like with guava.

1 Like
4 Likes
3 Likes

Did the Native Americans have knowledge of grafting techniques? Without grafting it’s hard to cultivate fruit due to seed variability.

Those videos were great! Thanks!

2 Likes

Your welcome mrsg47. My favorite of all fruits is the açaí,I only wish I could grow it! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KjKJ1ig2dnk

2 Likes

Do you buy the dried Acai.

Tony

1 Like

Tony,
So far I’ve only bought the liquid. It makes me feel better when I drink it. On a side note Tapioca generally makes most of us think of pudding so I want to post a video of a very different way to think of tapioca https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RvWO-F9txH8. I like tamarind but had never considered using the seeds https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RvWO-F9txH8

https://sites.google.com/site/mrtexascitrus/home/akebia

1 Like

“Did the Native Americans have knowledge of grafting techniques? Without grafting it’s hard to cultivate fruit due to seed variability.” Can’t think of a native american fruit that doesn’t come pretty true from seed.

1 Like

I can speak for my family which are part Cherokee but I cannot speak for the tribe. My family had no grafting knowledge. If the tribe had knowledge I think we would have but I cannot be certain. They were and are however masters of cultivating plants to better serve their purpose. They did largest seed selection in some of the 3 sisters plants. They knew about plants like you cannot imagine. My grandma would take me through the field naming every tree and plant there was and knowing them intimately in a way far beyond comprehension. They had a similar relationship with animals and all other life around them. The family certainly had lean periods in the old days because they told me about what we now call poverty that was then environmental factors. They did not prepare like we do for winter but they did prepare. Everything they did was different in their belief system. Much of what people in the United States do to live they learned from Indians but the new comers think bigger. Grain silo’s were not something they did on the scale done today but they did store corn, beans, squash etc. in my understanding. My family grew sassafras , lots of different greens, they gathered various nuts & acorns which my grandpa always called poor mans corn. Any wild thing to eat eg. Mushrooms, ginseng, gooseberries, blackberries , persimmon, pawpaw etc… we’re on their list and they knew when and where to get items. They raised animals , fruit trees etc. so my family occasionally planted corn , beans, squash etc.but that was not where they planned to get the majority of heir food. They did not plow a lot rather small plots and only what was needed.

4 Likes