Reed Avocado in Vista CA

1st fruit of the season. Bloom to harvest for this cultivar is 12 months here, compared to 7 in Costa Rica.

7 Likes

1 3/8 lbs.

5 Likes

2 Likes

I love them. It’s the variety i like most.
Infortunately i can’t have them here… Too much cold sensitive.

2 Likes

@Luisport
Grow some European Black Currants to get even :slightly_smiling_face:.

2 Likes

I grow avocados too like Bacon, Ettinger and Duke7. This are very cold hardy varieties. Infortunately Reed i can’t.

1 Like

2 lbs 10 ozs of Avocado fun! I think there are 4 more on the tree.

3 Likes

Actually there were 9 more, weighing in at 12 1/4 lbs.

4 Likes

Hi Richard. I came across this thread while trying to find a source for a Reed avocado tree in Costa Rica. I’m really excited to find this community!

We live at an elevation of 2,500 ft about 6 miles from the Pacific Ocean, and 9 degrees north of the equator. Our temperatures are always in the 70’s, and we typically receive 150 to 200 inches of rain per year. This year was crazy wet, and we got well over 200 inches.

During our first year in Costa Rica, we rented a house at 5,000 ft. elevation that had a mature Hass tree which produced hundreds of delicious avocados. When we purchased our property seven years ago, the previous owner told that Hass avocados won’t grow here, but that didn’t stop me from trying!

There are two mature avocado trees growing on the property. One is quite a large tree that produced hundreds of small, tasty, red avocados. But the tree only produced a few fruit in 2020 and none since then. The other smaller tree produces bumpy, roundish fruits with no flavor. I’ll attach a picture of fruit harvested from our property in 2019 that included both types of avocados.

I got very serious this year and planted 50 fruit trees in June and July, including four avocado trees in July, using a planting technique that a friend in our area uses successfully (1 meter deep holes, with a one meter deep tube for watering the first dry season and a 1/2 meter deep tube for watering through the second dry season). I read your article that someone in this thread linked, and that’s very different than your recommended method.

I planted four grafted avocados, types Vulcano, Catalina, Hass, and Booth 7. Now, five months after planting them the Vulcano and Catalina appear to be healthy and vigorous, but the Hass and Booth 7 are barely hanging in there. Unless they turn themselves around, I plan on replacing them with other varieties when our rainy season starts again in April. This was my third try at growing Hass avocados here, so I’ve decided to hang it up. I would sure love to try planting a Reed if I can find one. A small grower in our area lists Simson, Puerto Rico, Simmonds, Hall, and Kahalu in addition to the trees I obtained from another nursery. Do you have any thoughts on any of those for our zone? Thanks for any insight you can share.

2 Likes

@CRFruitLady
I’m sorry, I have no experience with those varieties. I recommend you create a new topic under General Fruit Growing and ask your question there.

1 Like

5/29/23. First fruit of the season.

2 Likes