Rootstock Graft Compatibility

Here is an old link referring to compatability Compatibility grafting?. Thanks for using my Prunus besseyi experiment from 4 years ago!

I did one two years ago and so far it’s fine. Yakima (European) to Methley.

5 Likes

Edit: Thanks for sharing, Dan! Continue to monitor for delayed incompatibility, please

SECTION S-14 is a must read for everyone!

Dax

3 Likes

here’s my work on pears

Pyrus Communis graft compatible with all pears makes a tree 90-100% of standard for european pears and 30-40% of standard for asians.

Pyrus Calleryana graft compatible with all pears makes a tree 100-110% of standard for european pears and 1%-5% of standard for asians (asian pears are EXTREMELY dwarfed on this rootstock)

Pyrus Betulifolia graft compatible with all pears makes a tree 110-120% of standard for european pears and 80%-90% of standard for asians

Pyrus Ussuriensis graft compatible with all pears makes a tree 50-60% of standard for european pears and 70%-90% of standard for asians

Pyrus Pyrifolia graft compatible with all pears makes a tree 100% of standard for european pears and 100% of standard for asians

Loquat (Eriobotrya japonica) graft compatible with some euros and asian pears, makes a tree 1-5% of standard both asian pears and european pears are EXTREMELY dwarfed on this rootstock and may not be long term compatible.

5 Likes

Does anyone know the heritage of Tsu Li and Ya Li asian pears? They are absolute beasts on callery rootstock, at least 100% normal size.

Also, if someone can tell me of any cases of decline/incompatibility in any hybrid persimmons grafted to pure virginiania rootstock, I would be indebted.

1 Like

I was just reading about this a little while a go. It’s behind a paywall. Sometimes you can request access to these articles / journals.

Decline of persimmon (Diospyros kaki L.) trees on Diospyros virginiana rootstocks
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/030442389190153P

An over-view of cultivars, production, harvesting, and marketing
http://ucanr.edu/datastoreFiles/391-472.pdf

Rootstocks for the Oriental Persimmon
http://www.avocadosource.com/CAS_Yearbooks/CAS_25_1940/CAS_1940_Pg_43-44.pdf

Do your Asian persimmons/Kaki graft-reject on D. virginiana or D. lotus rootstock?
[NAFEX] Do your Asian persimmons/Kaki graft-reject on D. virginiana or D. lotus rootstock? Data...

Notes on Persimmons, Kakis, Date Plums, and Chapotes - Arnoldia
http://arnoldia.arboretum.harvard.edu/pdf/articles/1979-39-5-notes-on-persimmons-kakis-date-plums-and-chapotes.pdf

Kaki vs Lotus Rootstock for Fuyu Persimmon
http://www.lecooke.com/le-cooke-blog/kaki-vs-lotus-rootstock-for-fuyu-persimmon.html?tmpl=component&print=1

Effects on growth of persimmon
http://journals.tubitak.gov.tr/agriculture/issues/tar-15-39-1/tar-39-1-14-1405-134.pdf

Will these persimmon rootstocks make it?
Will these persimmon rootstocks make it?

2 Likes

Just added C-8 for Adara Plum… complete with reference. Adara made it possible for me to graft a 150-n-1 stone fruit tree with all the major stone fruit species and intraspecifics on it, plus many wild species as well.

6 Likes

I found a nice exception to this. From my 150-n-1 tree, so far, after 8 years, all of the European plums grafted to Hollywood Plum have been long lasting and vigorous. Also the European plums have good compatibility with purple ornamental cherry plum, P. cerasifera.

6 Likes

???!!!

You have 150 cultivars on one tree? That’s amazing. Of course I won’t ask the names of all of them, but how many pluots do you have on it? So, the others I guess are peaches, J and E plums, nects, sweet and tart cherries. Which of these does it have the most of?

Do you perchance have a pic of the tree? That would be something to see. If not, how big is it, and how old?

I transplanted a Am (wild) plum to our yard last year, and now it’s blooming. I’d like to graft on to it when it gets a bit more established.

2 Likes

Here’s how the tree was developed over several years:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152893105681804.1073741916.762176803&type=1&l=b107aec886

9 Likes

That’s impressive, Joe. I can’t open the pics, (my wife has a FB account, but I’ve forgotten the password) but I read the story. It’s kinda hard to comprehend a tree with that many fruiting branches, unless it’s just a massive old tree. But still,150, wow.

Not that I keep track of such things, nor would I know where to look, but is that some kind of record of cultivars on one tree? Have you had any local news stories done about it?

You are a true Mad Sci, Joe, and I mean that in a good way…

1 Like

Thanks! And as I always say “If someone tells you that you have grafted more than what your tree can take, stop talking to them. You don’t need that kind of negativity in your life!”

No local news about it. But I had local news on my 101-n-1 citrus tree.
Here’s the 130-n-1 Franken-Stone fruit tree (well it was, now it is 150).

22 Likes

Nice work Joe. I was actually able to see yer FB pics. It doesn’t look as big as I thought it would, but if I saw the ladder so I figured it’s quite tall. You have like the Tree of Life in your front yard…

And, you also have 101-n-1 citrus tree? Impressive.

3 Likes

This is not surprising since Hollywood is believed to be a hybrid P. cerasifera ‘Atropurpurea’ x P. salicina, and myrobalan (P. cerasifera) is a common rootstock for Euro plums. I would guess that other P. cerasifera x P. salicina hybrids like Lavina or Obilnaya can serve as understock or interstem for Euro plums as well.

4 Likes

Might it be worth breaking this reference up? Have one for Prunus, one for Pears/Apples/etc, and so on. This list could get really long.

1 Like

And I have many experiences and references about citruses and avocados. I held off as I wish there’s a separate category for tropical and subtropicals.

Anyway, this excites me, because I’m actually in a position to advance our knowledge a bit, even if in an odd direction.

I’ve been experimenting with grafting onto my landscaping hawthorn.

I only have the first year of data so far:

• Quince, Aromatnaya: 2 grafts, both took and grew well. But I think there’s a risk they’re going to out-grow the stock.
  • Quince, Kuganskaya: Same as above
  • Medlar, unknown variety: 2 grafts, both took, fruited in the first year. I only allowed 1 to finish fruiting.

They all look like they’re waking up this spring, so I’ll continue to monitor for long-term incompatibility.

Here’s what I’ll add this year:

• Apple (Winter Banana, so this should be playing on easy mode)
  • Asian Pear
  • Euro Pear

(If these grafts work long-term, it would probably pay off for me to figure out precisely what kind of hawthorn I have.)

1 Like

try adding shipova and Aronia, they should take.

I say go ahead and start one for each of those.

Has anyone tried grafting onto Prunus serrulata (Japanese Flowering Cherry “Kwanzan”)?
The reason that I ask is that I have quite a few growing in my front yard that look beautiful for about 3 weeks a year. If I could extend the functionality of it by producing edibles that would be wonderful. I noticed that it is listed on the chart, but I have not seen anything else about it in the forum, or online for that matter. I cannot find any instance of it being used as a rootstock.