Roses are not red

Same here.
I love David Austin roses but have just removed a Eglantyne rose to make room for a future plum/pluot tree.

1 Like

@rayrose, those are beautiful. I love OGR, too but they are too large and too too tall for my small yard. I used to borrow rose books from libraries and read rose history with fasination.

@mrsg47 and @Z9gardener, I love DA roses, too. Used to have Dark Lady, Juliet, Molineux and Graham Thomas. But they have black spot badly. Abraham Darby has it, too, but it blooms a long time and smell so nice. I replaced roses with other perennials. My perennials and roses don’t get much attention these days.

1 Like

I have DA. Spirit of Freedom, the Pilgrim, Ambridge Rose, Shropshire lad, the Prince, wonder stripe, and then Rosa Mundi, divine!!! Tiffany, rhapsody in blue and ferdinand Pichard, almost forgot, Portlandia. I always wanted Alchemyst but never ordered it. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

The remaining DA roses I have are Molineux, Tamora, Christopher Marlowe and Teasing Georgia.
I lost a few due to some soil borne disease.

1 Like

Maybe, I should find a way to create an arbor. I love climbing rose. I have Zephirine Druohin but no space for it to climb. The poor thing branches out like a fountain in a small space. The scent is wonderful but the color is not mine liking. Neon pink!!

I also have America rose. No scent but the color and the form is gorgeous. I practically neglect it but it still is going. So pretty.

1 Like

I also grow two of her sports, Malmaison Rouge and Kronpricessen
Victoria. There are two versions of Malmaison, one is a small bush,
while the other can attain a large size.

I used to grow DA’s too. My favorites were Belle Storey and Wise Portia.

I grow Abe Darby, Scepter D’Isle, Lady of Shallot, Anne Boleyn and Heritage, among others. I prefer floribundas just for the sheer amount of blooms per stem.

I love Julia Child, florabunda, blooms like crazy from spring to fall.

One thing I do not like about DA roses is they are heavy and flopping/ nodding esp. After rain. Too much rain, they turn to mush.

1 Like

neat story, They took Julia out to the experimental fields for Weeks or J&P can’t remember, and wanted to honor her namesake with a rose she picked out. She picked out this particular rose because it was very robust and the color reminded her of butter :smile:

I used to have Belle Story. Loved the form of the bloom but the plant I had was a dud.

I also used to have Zephirine Druohin. I tried to grow it against a very old walnut tree that came with the house. I don’t remember much about it except that it was a powdery mildew magnet in our yard. Now I have the yellow Lady Bank rose growing in its place for many years already. The walnut tree trunk serves as a support and the vine would drape over its branches. The timing of the bloom is just right too. It blooms 4-6 weeks before the walnut tree leaves out. It’s a sight I look forward to every spring.

This is what I would grow if I were to plant anymore roses. I have quite a few of these. Vavoom, Easy Does It, Fragrant Apricot, Midnight Blue, Mardi Gras came to mind. [quote=“mamuang, post:29, topic:11518”]
I love Julia Child, florabunda, blooms like crazy from spring to fall.
[/quote]

I agree.
My Julia Child rose died due to the soil borne disease too. It had been very healthy until its demise. It would get wet every time my lawn sprinkler was on and yet there was no black spot or rust problem.

1 Like

Every rose in my yard except for Easy Does It get black spot, Zephirine and Abraham Darby are the worst.

The tough as nail rose opin my yard is America, blooms and survives with no care for many years now.

@Moley, heard about that JC story, too. I also liked her as an icon. We still watch some of her old cooking shows. When someone asks me what yellow rose I would recommend, I always say Julia Child. Because it blooms so abundantly, it is a very cheerful rose to have in a garden.

3 Likes

Its real color is deep salmon, not pink. The pic cannot capture quite the right color.

6 Likes

I’m doing some rose research and looked up this thread. Mamuang your Julia’s Child and Easy Does are beautiful! Do they flower entire summer?
Rayrose your la Marne is impressive. Is that a tree rose kept as a shrub?
My only rose is an unknown red climber that flowers beautifully for about a week in the spring and then look all ratty entire year after that. I’m trying to find something that flowers from June-September nonstop.

New Dawn! Comes in a variety of colors! Its a beauty!

1 Like

Julia Child’s pros:

• a very prolific bloomer. It blooms from spring to when hard frost arrives in late fall.
  • Several shades of yellow, from deep yellow to almost white at various stages of blooms. Collectively, it is beautiful.
  • Some hat compact, about 4 ft tall in my area. Roses tend to grow larger in warner zones.

Cons:

• No fragrance
  • Get black spot if not spray
    Overall, the pros outweigh the cons for me.

Easy Does It is very compact at 2-3’ tall. No fragrance but no disease, either.

My friend had a climbing New Dawn. Lovely pale pink blooms but it got black spot badly. She did not want to spray and finally gave up on it because once black spot took over. It was not a pretty sight.

1 Like

If you’re going to grow roses, you HAVE to spray. It comes with
the territory.

1 Like

I have a small front yard which I have now covered with fruit trees. My wife is not too happy about that and I would like to plant some roses for her around the border, so it doesn’t look like a jungle. I don’t know much about roses but I’ve started reading a bit. I was initially planning to go for the quintessential white picket fence + pink roses thats common on the internet

However, I am not sure if this is easy to achieve. What kind of roses do people generally plant for borders? Is it a row of bush roses with appropriate pruning? or would a climbing rose + some structure to grow on be better? What varieties would you recommend for this? I would like strong/medium fragrance, repeat flowering (preferably no dead-heading) over long season but no specific requirement on colors.

3 Likes

I would do a climbing Old Blush and weave it through the fence.
Depending upon how long the fence, maybe more than one.
I used to have one growing on a wall at a previous house and it
was a sight to behold.

1 Like

Way back when I hung out at the Roses forum in Gardenweb, I’ve learned that growing ross in CA was a lot easier than in the east coast. Because of your drier climate, you don’t have a common rose disease like black spot as seriously as we do here.

Thus, you have a lot more choices of roses o choose from. I love seeing climbing roses that climb up an archway, trellis, wall, etc.

Besides what Rayrose recommended, I have heard good things about Cecile Brunner and Gertrude Jeckyll, both fragrant, repeat blooming climbers.

If you want to read about any specific rose, google “Helpmefind+ the name tge rise i. e. Helpmefind, Cecile Brunner.

Any rose that comes up with an “excellent” rating is worth your consideration.

Also, I used to order roses from online rose nurseries. A few have gone out of business. I believe Chamblee and Edmunds are still around.

Also, CA have many Rose Societies. Find the one near you. They could be your good resource.

2 Likes