Roses in orchard

This is my daughter’s Rose, and it flowers throughout the year. It is a Weeks Rose, unfortunately I don’t remember the name. I didn’t like roses until she begged me to get one and she picked it out by herself. It is so pretty, vigorous, and healthy, I’m thinking of getting a few more.

7 Likes

Hybid Tea or Floribunda?

No kidding we reached into rhe 90’s yesterday too. Time to drive around in my air conditioned car!

Looks like a hybrid Tea. Very pretty!

If it’s a Weeks rose, I’d says it looks like Secret. Which is a must
for any rose harden.

A hybrid tea.

I looked “Secret” up and it could be that, but the description says Secret is very aromatic, which I don’t think it is. I mean, if you bend down and smell it, it has a lovely, pleasing fragrance, but they’re not something you can smell just standing there. So I’m not sure.

Scent is a very subjective thing, especially in roses. It can vary widely,
even during the day, and from person to person. What you may think is very aromatic, I may not be able to smell at all. So don’t judge the rose by smell alone. I still think your rose is Secret.

2 Likes

Everyone’s roses are so beautiful! Makes me want to expand my rose horizons a bit, which wouldn’t take much since I only have one rose bush (not counting multiflora roses unfortunately planted as part of a wildlife collection years ago.) It’s a bit of a challenge since anything I plant has to be very hardy with weather and care.

When our 20 yr old cat died three years ago I decided I wanted to plant a rose for her. A yellow one. I figured I’d just go online, find a hardy simple yellow rose and order it, One search and I was way over my head, not having any idea of even where to start. So I went to the Fedco catalogue, where I order most of my fruit plants/trees, and they had one that sounded possible - Campfire. It wasn’t the yellow rose I had in mind but I liked it. Even though it’s a hardy soul it’s having a hard time sustaining much growth, dieing back a lot in the winter, even well mulched. But it’s healthy, puts out blooms as much as it can which amazes me, changing from beautiful buds to light yellow blooms turning intense pink. Usually the change takes a few days which is nice but with the unusual heat we’re having (80’s) they’re changing so fast if I don’t take care to look every time I’m in the orchard I miss the yellow stage. The photos are just one day apart. It’s rather a fun rose.

rose-campfire70518-gf

rose-campfire2-70618-gf

The reason I even thought of getting a rose (I’m not much of a flower grower) is that there was a sprawling yellow rose bush (or bushes?) on a short bank beside our house when I was growing up. I always thought they were “wild”. They were pretty, but that’s about all I knew, or thought, about them. They were just there. Well my older sister lives in the house now, my parents gone for some years, so I asked her about the yellow roses - thinking maybe I could get a cutting. Sadly no, they had ripped them out awhile ago. But she told me something I never knew. Turns out they were my Dad’s roses.He used to be very interested in roses. When he was younger, with a young family, there was an older neighbor really into roses who got him interested. When he moved his family out of the Detroit area (Birmingham) to a small town further north he took his yellow rose with him and planted it beside the house he built. That was all she knew about it, and I was only 5 yrs old when we moved. How I wish I had known that when I was older and my Dad was alive! But he never talked about it, and I had no idea.

But maybe someday I’ll find a pretty yellow rose that would survive here, a “wild” one that isn’t wild at all but looks like it is. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know! Sue

4 Likes

Check out “Easy Going”.

Easy Going is listed for zone 6b.

Sue, there is a yellow rose that can tolerate zone 3 b. It is called Harison Yellow. It is a climber, not a bush. It is beautiful and cold hardy.

2 Likes

Your wild rose would be Yellow Banksia aka Yellow Banks.

I don’t think banksia is hardy in Detroit, I may be wrong but I think it’s only hardy to Zone 8.

I have never grown it I like Julia Child and the hybrid tea, Gold Medal a very old classic.

@Sue-MiUPz3 is in zone 3. Her chioce for in ground roses are limitd

Thanks, missed that!

I see lots of nets and fencing

Is there any chance for you to have a small or tiny green house that gets its heat from your home heating system? In my house in Maine I had a green house window in my kitchen. Started all seeds in it and grew minature roses in pots. It was fabulous. Also small gardenias!

1 Like

Mamuang, thank you - Harison Yellow looks like a very good possibility and so pretty. I hadn’t really considered a climber but after reading about that one I’ve been looking around and I think I have a spot for one. I’m fast going from being casually interested to being very interested in roses! Maybe it’s a good thing my location limits my choices. My first loves are my garden and orchard but there’s room for pretty, too.

@Richard - That is also a nice one but as Mamuang mentioned, I live in a rather cold spot so don’t think it would make it here. I like looking up all of these roses though! What a great amount of diversity.

@rayrose - I had called my Dad’s rose “wild” but that was my ignorance at the time. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t a wild variety but one that likely was popular at that time. I’m guessing, of course, I really don’t know. But thinking back it was well tended. It seemed to bloom all summer. But whatever it was it also likely wouldn’t be hardy up here.

@mrsg47 - Yes, I do have an attached greenhouse, and agree it’s great to have! But its primary function is to grow greens in the winter and seedlings in the spring, and it is packed full of such things. Maybe a nasturtium or a marigold for fun but nothing exotic as a miniature rose! (and in Maine! I’m impressed!) I’m afraid my skills in gardening are definitely along the hale and hearty vegetable line.

There is (or was) a wholesale bareroot rose distributor in eastern Canada. I didn’t buy from them but instead visited their website frequently because of the 1,000’s of varieties listed there – which can be searched by zone, color, vigor, etc. It’s been about 8 years since I last visited.