Scionwood sources

Alaska Fruit Trees

3 Likes

I like Brent’s scionwood and would recommend him.

Date: Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 4:18 PM
Subject: Fruit Tree Scion List 2018

New Fruit Offerings for 2018

I hope that your grafts last spring were successful and grew away nicely! I will be listing on Ebay again this year, on January 2nd, as bnd68. However, since you have ordered previously, you get an opportunity to order before anyone else, and at a lower price! Below is the list of available cultivars, with lots of new offerings.
The price for you is $3.50 per scion + $6.00 flat rate USPS First Class shipping. For every 5 scions you buy, you get one scion of your choice free. The price on Ebay will be higher to cover my ebay fees. Scions are 8-12 inches long and approximately pencil diameter. To place your order, email me your selections and I will send you a PayPal invoice, then you can check out through PayPal.

Order now since many varieties are in limited supply! I will begin shipping orders in January. You can store them in the fridge until it is time to graft. Sorry, I cannot hold orders due to limited storage space. Happy grafting, and thanks!

Brent
Apples-
May be grafted to apple or crabapple
Alexander
Arkansas Black
Ashmead’s Kernel
Ashton Bitter
Baldwin
Bell de Beskoop
Black Gilliflower
Black Oxford
Black Twig
Bleinheim Orange
Blue Pearmain
Blushing Golden
Blushing Maiden
Braeburn
Bramley’s Seedling
Bullet
Burgundy
Calville Blanc
Canadian Strawberry
Chenango Strawberry
Connell Red
Cornish Gilliflower
Cortland
Cox’s Orange Pippen
Dabinett
EarliBlaze
Edward VII
Esopus Spitzenburg
Fallawater
Fameuse
Fantasia
Firmgold
Florina
Fortune
Fuji
Gala
Ginger Gold
Golden Russet
Goldrush
Granny Smith
Gravenstein
Grimes Golden
Harrison
Hidden Rose
Honey Cider
Hudson’s Golden Gem
Idared
King David
King of Thompkins County
Kingston Black
Lady
Liberty
Lyman’s Large
MacFree
Melrose
Mollie’s Delicious
Newtown Pippen
Northern Spy
Orleans Reinette
Pink Pearl
Pitmaston Pineapple
Pomme D’Or
Pomme Gris
PRI-1571-3
PRI-2545-1
PRI-672-1
Red Astracian
Red Delicious
Red Fuji
Rhode Island Greening
Ribston Pippen
Rome
Scott’s Winter
Shizuka
Smokehouse
Spencer
Stoke’s Cider
Suncrisp
Sweet Sixteen
Virginia Gold
Virginia Hewe’s Crab
Winekist
Winter Banana
Wolf River
Yellow Transparent
Zabergun Reinette

Pears- May be grafted to pear or ornamental pear

Ayers
Bosc
Carl’s Favorite
Duchess Bronzee
Flemish Beauty
Harrow Sweet
Hendre Huffcap
Kieffer
Klapp’s Favorite
Luscious
Maxine
Onward
Orcas
Patten
Potomac
Rescue
Seckel
Shenandoah
Summercrisp
Warren
Waterville
Winnal’s Longdon
Yellow Huffcap

Asian Pear- May be grafted to pear or ornamental pear

Hosui
Megsui
Shin Li
Shinko
Shinseki
Ya Li

Ribes- These are cuttings. If planted with only about one fourth of the length above ground, they will root by spring!

Hinomaki Red Gooseberry
Black Velvet Gooseberry
Jostaberry
Blackdown Currant
Imperial White Currant
Glendale Gooseberry
Whitesmith Gooseberry
JeanneGooseberry
Hinomaki Yellow Gooseberry
Poorman Gooseberry
Langley Gage Gooseberry

American Persimmon - Grafted only to persimmon

C100
Early Golden
John Rick
Morris Burton

Pawpaw- Grafted only to pawpaw

Mango
Zimmerman

Mulberry- Grafted to mulberry

Illinois Everbearing

Plum- Grafted to plum

Cambridge
Ember
Imperial Epinese
Kaga
Methley
Mirabelle
Mount Royal
Schoolhouse
Shiro
South Dakota
Stanley
Superior
Toka
Underwood
Zuetsche

Copyright © 2017 Fruit Haven, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you purchased scions on Ebay from us last year.

Our mailing address is:
Fruit Haven
5441 State Road 28 E
Lafayette, IN 47909

Add us to your address book

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp

11 Likes

Great information from all. Hat tip to everyone that gives us these great sources and tips.

2 Likes

I had preaty good luck with this seller. I felt several of the scions where only barely pencil thing at the end making it difficult to do two 4 bud grafts. But I managed and I think they all took

my order was for

Ashmead’s Kernel
Black Oxford
Canadian Strawberry
Hidden Rose
Kingston Black
Pitmaston Pineapple

1 Like

I added him to the list now, I guess I missed Clark’s post in January.

Got this email a couple days ago from Brent Dickinson

bndickinson@hotmail.com

I hope that your grafts last spring were successful and grew away nicely ! I will be listing on Ebay again this year, in January, as bnd68. However, since you have ordered previously, you get an opportunity to order before anyone else, and at a lower price! Below is the list of available cultivars, with lots of new offerings. I am offering pecan, walnut, and peach for the first time. These tend to be more difficult to graft successfully, if you are looking for a new challenge!

The price for you is $4.50 per scion + $6.00 flat rate USPS First Class shipping. For every 5 scions you buy, you get one scion of your choice free. The price on Ebay will be higher to cover my ebay fees. Scions are 8-12 inches long and approximately pencil diameter. To place your order, email me your selections and I will send you a PayPal invoice, then you can check out through PayPal.

Order now since many varieties are in limited supply! Orders will be filled in the order that the orders are placed. Orders should be considered reserved only after you have paid. In rare cases, please understand that I may have overestimated the amount of material available of a variety and will need to offer a substitute (of your choice) or partial refund after I begin cutting orders. I will begin cutting and shipping orders in January. You can store them in the fridge until it is time to graft. Sorry, I cannot hold orders due to limited storage space. I cannot ship internationally, as it is illegal. Happy grafting, and thanks !

Brent
Apples-
May be grafted to apple or crabapple

Alexander
Arkansas Black
Ashmead’s Kernel
Baldwin
Bell de Beskoop
Black Gilliflower
Black Oxford
Black Twig
Bleinheim Orange
Blushing Maiden
Bramley’s Seedling
Bullet
Calville Blanc
Cameo
Canadian Strawberry
Chenango Strawberry
Cornish Gilliflower
Cortland
Cox’s Orange Pippen
Dabinett- short/thin
EarliBlaze
Early Joe- thin
Edward VII
Esopus Spitzenburg
Fameuse
Firmgold
Florina
Fortune
Fuji
Gala
Ginger Gold-thin
Golden Russet
Goldrush
Granny Smith
Gravenstein- short/thin
Grimes Golden
Harrison
Harry Master Jersey
Hidden Rose-thin
Honey Cider
Idared
King David
King of Thompkins County
Kingston Black
Lady- short/thin
Liberty
Lord Lambourne
Lyman’s Large
MacFree
Melrose
Mollie’s Delicious
Newtown Pippen
Northern Spy
Orleans Reinette
Pink Pearl
Pitmaston Pineapple
Pomme D’Or
Pomme Gris
PRI-1571-3
PRI1576-100
PRI-2545-1 thin
Red Astracian
Red Delicious
Red Fuji
Rhode Island Greening
Ribston Pippen
Rome
Roxbury Russet
Scott’s Winter
Shizuka
Smokehouse
Spencer
Stoke’s Red Cider
Suncrisp
Surprise
Sweet 16- short/thin
Virginia Gold
Virginia Hewe’s Crab
Winter Banana
Wolf River
Zabergun Reinette

Pears- May be grafted to pear or ornamental pear
Ayers
Carl’s Favorite
Flemish Beauty
Harrow Sweet- thin
Luscious
Moonglow
Orcas
Patten
Potomac
Rescue
Seckel
Starking Delicious
Summercrisp
Warren
Waterville
Yellow Huffcap

Asian Pear- May be grafted to pear or ornamental pear
Megsui
Shinko
Shinseki
Ya Li

Ribes - These are cuttings. If planted with only about one fourth of the length above ground, they will root by spring!
Hinomaki Red Gooseberry
Black Velvet Gooseberry
Jostaberry
Blackdown Black Currant
Imperial White Currant
Glendale Gooseberry
JeanneGooseberry

American Persimmon - Grafted only to persimmon
A118
C100
Early Golden
H120
John Rick
Morris Burton
Rosseyanka (Am. x Kaki)
100-45

Pawpaw- Grafted only to pawpaw
Mango
Shenandoah
Summer Delight
Sunflower
Zimmerman

Mulberry- Grafted to mulberry
Illinois Everbearing

Plum- Grafted to plum
Ember- short/thin
Imperial Epinese
Kaga
Methley
Mirabelle- thin
Schoolhouse- short/thin
Shiro
Stanley
Superior
Toka
Underwood
Zuetsche-thin

Hardy Kiwifruit- Grafted to kiwi or may be rooted
Anna
Male

Che- Grafted to che or osage orange
Male

Pecan - Grafted to pecan or hickory
Pound
Major

Peach- Grafted to peach or some plum
Baby Crawford
Harrow Diamond
Redskin

Quince- Grafted to quince or pear
Meech’s Prolific

Carpathian Walnut- Grafted to Carpathian (English) or black walnut
Ambassador
Lake

10 Likes

Does anyone have an updated scion list for Richard Fahey from Singing Tree?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Anyone else worried about how the National Plant Germoplasm System being closed by the federal government shut down will affect its accepting and sending out scionwood orders?

1 Like

Yes, I am

1 Like

I had a friend receive his apple scions a few days ago for what that’s worth.

Dax

1 Like

Well, I can live without a few scions if they shut down come spring.
It’s a manufactured crisis that I won’t lose sleep over.

3 Likes

@BambooMan
Yes I have Richards 2019 list. Singing tree is charging $4.00 per scion this year. Let me know if I need me to zoom in on something.

13 Likes

Thanks a ton Clark.

I came home from the farm last night and found the same list in my mailbox. I guess Mr. Fahey mails them out to individuals who previously placed orders. I prefer looking at the list on my laptop, thanks again.

WIth this tree growing business, you would think I would have learned some patience by now.

3 Likes

From a friend who has some inside information:
USDA people are not allowed access to their computers, email, research or any thing that has to do with their work. The USDA can’t even send out an email when the shut down is over. They have to get their information from the news. We just have to hope it’s over soon.

3 Likes

I just updated the listings up top with a scan of the 2019 Singing Tree catalog…

3 Likes

Looks great! This is the first time I received a paper copy. Is this the first year he has offered grafting tools? I bet this forum has brought Mr. Fahey a lot of business.

1 Like

Thanks for posting this, Clark. Just got my copy a couple of days ago, but it’s helpful to have it here for reference in case I misplace it. (Spoiler alert: I will misplace it…)

I wonder if you or anyone else knows whether the “Comptesse” pear that Singing Tree is offering scion wood for is Comtesse de Paris (which seems quite rare in the US?) or Comtesse Clara Frijs (which Singing Tree has offered in the past but does not seem to have listed this year, at least not under that name), or some other Comtesse that my internet searches haven’t been able to come up with.

If nobody knows, I may just send Mr. Fahey a letter to inquire, but figured it was worth asking.

1 Like

Unfortunately I’m not sure either. Your approach of sending a letter is likely wise but perhaps he only knows it by that name as well in which case growing it out is the only way to know what it is.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, Clark. As it turns out, there are more clues right in this thread, though it’s not entirely clear which direction they’re pointing! Looking back at previous editions of the Singing Tree list, I see that in Jan 2017 “Comptesse” and “Clara Frijs” appear as different items, one immediately following the other, but in December 2015 “Comptesse Clara Frijs” appears on one line as a single item. Pretty confusing!

But since Hedrick does have the full name of Clara Frijs as “Comtesse Clara Frijs,” and since there doesn’t seem to be a better-known pear that goes simply by “Comtesse”, I’m guessing that the 2015 list was correct, and that the current “Comptesse” is probably Clara Frijs. I’ll ask, though, since I do plan to order some pear scions from them. (Time to bounce back from my rookie mistakes of a couple of years ago…)

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this @clarkinks! I just reached out to Brent to place an order.

1 Like