Seed starting mixtures

i usually order from eBay, but i picked up a bunch at Walmart in fall clearance for 75% of bricks a few years ago that will last me a long time. with coir make sure you flush it a few times cuz i can be salty, I’ve killed plants by not doing this… a ppm/ec meter can be helpful to make sure it’s safe

1 Like

Thanks Derek! I saw coir online at Walmart, it is marginally more expensive than Amazon. I’ll check again on ebay. The challenge is that they all use different metrics for their products. Some say the actual weight. Some give the expanded volume. Some give the actual volume. I’m beginning to think that is intentional.

i always buy the compressed blocks, i think they are 5kg, one is about right to rehydrate in my wheelbarrow.

1 Like

General Hydroponics HGC714064 CocoTek Bale Premium Coco Growing Media, OMRI Listed 5 kg Brown https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00U1V7NOO/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_YE9TFN3K497V5V891HTM

Just found 5kg for $11.67 shipped. I’m going to grab a few to try.

that’s a good price. btw to drain my coir, i use 20 gallon grow bags, the heavy duty brown ones. i hydrate in a wheel barrow usually overnight and then pour it into a grow bag where I’ll flush it again with water from a hose for a couple minutes, then let it set for a day or so on the ground to let the water seep out into the dirt.