Seedlings You're Growing

I can’t help you for seeds, I live in France. I harvested it on vocation in a public garden.
Normally the seeds can’t be preserved, they must be sown immedialy.
The biggest ones were sown in décembre, in my house. The smallest in march. I had 3 kg of fruit for these seeds. The seeds are much smaller than that of actinidia chinensis.

Good information…thanks. I will try to acquire a very ripe one and plant the seeds…or just buy a plant!

My seedling adventure is way at the other end of the scale from most of you! In the fall of 2016 I designated a “nursery bed” in my garden and the first planting was some Dudley apple cores, pear seeds and cores, grapes, other odds and ends. It’s been fun watching them grow. I’ve pulled all but the best now. The apple is the largest, ~12", and I’ll transplant him out in the fall. The pears are only 4-5" so at least another year in the nursery. But I have their spots marked already! Long way to get to tasting fruit but I’m enjoying the plants. Sue

apple-DudleySeedling-gf
Dudley seedling

pear-seedlings2018-gf
pear seedlings

7 Likes

I don’t have as much time to spend on my apple seedling project anymore but here is a thread on them New Apple Seedling Varieties. Gorgeous trees now that produce plenty of good apples!

4 Likes

Excellent thread Clark. Quite an interesting and awesome project. As it comes to be, I bought a bag of Honeycrisp apples last night. While I never considered myself a big fan of apples, they were so delicious. I’m now rethinking apple varieties to grow. So far I have: ‘Rubinette’, Golden Delicoius, Gold Rush, Pristine, Cameo, and Ashmead’s Kernel.

Congrats on your success!

Is the wild gene pool you’ve gotten your seeds from something you stumbled on and local?

Dax

2 Likes

@Barkslip
Dax,
The original seeds came from Michigan’s woods I think but can’t recall for sure and they are 100% wild apples. Several people on here grow some of my wild apples. I’ve grafted in an additional wild red flesh I got from @chartman that I will likely cross with a 3rd or 4th generation wild apple. It will be 5 years until you see that one. I think you would enjoy this thread In search of the next great apple variety! - #39 by chartman and this one Seedling Apples for cider

3 Likes

August 2017 Jujube seedlings. (Ignore the persimmons that are masquerading as jujube)

Katy

5 Likes

SUPER DUPER Katy!

Great looking/healthy plants in total… even the grafts you ‘snuck in.’ :grinning:

Dax

3 Likes

I’ll snap some pics later today. I toned down a lot because even an acre fills up quick.

2 Likes

Surprise of this day… feijoa variegated 20180704_122735-1

4 Likes

Avocado

7 Likes

what are the paper cup things you are growing in in your original pictures?

Here are some juneberry seedlings just coming up, this picture was taking about a week ago…

3 Likes

Hey man,

Root pruning containers which I do not recommend for large growing trees. They’re great though for hardwood/softwood cuttings and tomato plants or pepper plants or flowers etc. Here are a couple of my favorite sellers:

This is the ultimate starter pack. It won’t get any better than this. I spent days on the internet researching:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078N75MG8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And the 22 cm x 20 cm from this seller is as large as I’ve found w/o going to root pruning gallon containers made of denser fabric/again I’ve done hours of research (20 x 22 = 1/2 gal./2 qt. container) :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-100pcs-Round-Fabric-Pots-Plant-Pouch-Root-Container-Grow-Bag-Container-White/202292530259?hash=item2f19930c53:m:m0wiOkvVQONVqvsEKMhMEaA:rk:1:pf:0&var=502261271734

Dax

3 Likes

I just got some of these trays for growing out cuttings and seedlings, they are fairly sturdy, should be reusable many times.
https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/containers-trays/trays-flats/deep-cell-plug-trays?returnurl=%2Fcontainers-trays%2Ftrays-flats%2F
sureroots%203x5

1 Like

Those look great.

I’ve switched to Stuewe containers that are at least 10” tall. A pawpaw seedling in a Stuewe MT2510 (2.5” x 10”) will grow to 18-24” in its first year vs those root growing bags that make a 3-5” seedling. I only know because my buddy showed me this one-season-growth pawpaw seedling. He has 100’s of pawpaw seedlings all that size/same amount of time.

Arriving today are MT310 that I’m going to use for Kanza pecans. 3” x 10”

I also bought the flat and legs to go with the flat. (Tray6 & Tray Leg)

The Tray6 is great alone to fill and plant say 100 pecans in it which will get them up 6-7" their first year and then knock it over and the seedlings come apart so easily to be transplanted. So dual use of the Tray6

It’s been my observation that tall pots are best for tree seed. Of course I don’t know what you’re growing in those 3.5” x 5” cell trays.

Dax

3 Likes

Primarily they will be used for aronia and juneberry seedlings this spring. Plan to start them indoors under lights, also I will be transplanting some rooted black currant cuttings into them that I have going right now.

Think they should work well for starting garden plants also this spring, tomatoes, peppers, etc.

1 Like

Those are then perfect for aronia/juneberry size seed as well as garden starts.

I don’t know if a long container with a 2.5 - 3" opening at the top is produced with root-pruning slats but I’d like to have some.

Dax

You might like these also, but they arent cheap, I got 3 trays and sets of the 12" deep pots just to try out tho.
https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/containers-trays/plant-pots/cn-pif-tr

proptek
These are kinda nice cuz standard 1020 humidity domes fit over them just right also.

1 Like

I like those!

Thanks, man.

Dax

Darn… a little late for me to comment but do you know you’ve got Z. mauritiana there? Several of us on here have had the same problem. The ones I had last year were toast after the first couple of freezes.