Sexing Persimmons

It is very hard for me to tell. I think the two halves on the left had seeds. What do you think?

@RUenvsci, I have Prok, Saijo, Tam Kam and 100-46 grafted on it. As long as I keep my NG alive, they should help with cross pollination.

Dang Tippy. That’s a tough picture to look at.

I’m into year 8 of fruit trees and guess what? I’ve eaten one peach. Now isn’t that terrible?

Good wishes, however.

Dax

1 Like

You definitely have it a lot tougher. Hope they will produce for you next year.

1 Like

Absent of your picture, I’m heading towards persimmons, pawpaws, & pears as main trees here. They require no sprays and will fruit. But, now I have to start planting them.

Stone fruits are simply difficult to grow. Cherries I will contend are “pretty easy” here. Japanese beetles though… you literally have to spray every day and several times per day.

Dax

I have heard that NG sulks more than other varieties.

Hope your persimmons hold on to their fruit.

1 Like

E pears are known to take a long time except for the Harrow series. Have your grown any?

A pears are even easier for me. They produce by year 3 or 4 and a lot less work than stone fruit.

Not yet. But I grafted 31 varieties of pears this year and have grafts of them all I’m sure. Must of had 10 A. pears in the mix.

I hope by this Fall that both my hands will have healed strong from carpal tunnel surgery or I’ll be stuck with all those grafts in tubs until next spring.

Thanks for the info on E. pears, especially…

Dax

The key is whether these other varieties produce male flowers. I don’t know enough about those other varieties to know if they produce male flowers in addition to female flowers.

My Prok, grafted May 8 this year.

5 Likes

Bahm!

You’re a lucky lady. I’d keep that bottom flower or two’s fruit if the graft is very strong. See how they all develop, first.

It’s against wisdom to keep fruit, but, I’d be tempted pretty easily there.

Dax

2 Likes

Dax,
This graft is on a small potted seedling. If any of those flowers set fruit, I will let 1-2 stay.

I have two other Prok grafted to a NG and another seedling.

2 Likes

Unless you live in Calif. or Arizona that seems to be the way it goes. Dax My Enterprise took ten years to fruit. Last year it had fruit. This year it has one apple! Fruit trees are about being patient. I see the pics of our fellow forum members, their yards and fruit trees. They are all so beautiful. Cannot wait to move to a warmer climate !

2 Likes

It’s been a rough time. 8-years and waiting. I’m pretty well though tossing in the towel growing stone fruit. As I drive on the highway there are Japanese beetles bumping off my windshield and you can see them swarming all over the air. Add disease and all pest related issues, they’re too much for me to mess with. I’ll try apples. I’ve been enjoying eating Honeycrisp from the supermarket lately while I had never considered myself a fan of apples. But, I’m now becoming hooked.

It’s going to be pears, persimmons, pawpaws, & apples mainly.

All the best,

Dax

2 Likes

Don’t forget the low maintenance sweet tasting jujube.

Tony

1 Like

Thank you, Tony. I did forget.

Dax

I have not seen much other reference to JBT06. Can you tell me about it?

I have no more. I had 4. but the wild animals broke everything.
It made male and female flowers. Scionwoods purchased from Cliff.