Should have pulled the grafting tape sooner!

Sometimes I get behind on things which almost always results in some interesting things happening that shouldn’t. No long term harm to these grafts but they will look a little funny for awhile. I use plastic grafting tape. That tape I use can girdle a graft if the tape isn’t removed.

5 Likes

That reminds me of some of my pear grafts this year. Of course you don’t have to worry about this with parafilm but plastic tapes might be an issue if you are forgetful (my case). I like to use them when I need graft to be tight (cannot do that with parafilm) and they are also way cheaper. 1.5$ with free shipping, hard to beat that
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-Sale-Best-Price-15m-Stretch-Film-Round-Nursery-Grafting-Tape-Tool-Stretchable-Self-Adhesive-Plants/32593407290.html?spm=2114.30010308.3.133.eR1tOk&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_10,searchweb201602_2_10057_10065_10056_10055_10054_10069_10059_10058_10017_10070_10060_10061_10052_10062_10053_10050_10051,searchweb201603_1&btsid=b8f0405d-6edd-4bff-acb8-241bc2f3075e

1 Like

I agree parafilm is the way to go. I use it then wrap electrical tape over the parafilm to make the connection even tighter. once I get good growth from the graft I remove the electrical tape but leave the parafilm on.

I do use parafilm to wrap scions but I use plastic tape on the unions. If your wrapping the union with electric tape you still need to go back and pull the tape correct? I can see a huge advantage to having parafilm over the graft but in many cases it’s not strong enough for the wind here on my Kansas hilltop location.

I use vinyl electric tape and sometimes it stretches for a graft, sometimes it doesn’t, but I’ve never lost a graft because of the constriction, although some day I’m probably bound to. I do a lot of grafting and overlook many a tape-job.

Some of my peach grafts this year have reached almost a half inch in diameter and three feet in well branched height and the tape has caused absolutely no discernible constriction because peach seems to be strong enough to force the electric tape to stretch with no effect on the wood. This after wrapping them very tightly in warm weather.

2 Likes

That’s correct, the electrical tape is removed once I get some good growth appearing.

1 Like

Sounds like most of us use similar methods with pros and cons to each method. I have not lost any grafts due to tape this year so I suppose it’s as good a method as others. I do need to be a little more punctual on getting that tape off. I’m very bad about cutting off incompatible grafts and put those off until the following year.

Clark,
Glad you mention this. I usually use green garden tape over the prarfilm. I have no problem remembering to remove the green tape to avoid a girdling issue.

Half way through grafting this yesr, I replaced green garden tape with Temflex. I stretched and wrapped Temflex tightly on top of my parafilm wrap, the same way I do with green garden tape.

3+ months later, I have found that for small scionwood, the growth is not strong enough to push open Temflex. I had to use a knife to remove Temflex. A coulple graft unions were '“dented”.

I won’t use Temflex with a scionwood again.

2 Likes

Dollar store electrical tape gives just enough to allow for some expansion, but you have to keep tabs on your grafts to not only remove the tape but also rub off any suckers. Once every week or 2 try to make it a habit to check all your grafts and it will reward you in the end. :thumbsup:

2 Likes

For me, Temflex induced a lot of root initials or excessive callous tissue to form at my graft unions. Every single one of my grafts did this.

I think it was too good at holding in moisture.

I removed the Temflex in mid July. They seem fine now. But I am not sure what would have happened if I had left it all season.

1 Like

your problem is very common, in my country is called cancer and occurs whenever or insulating plastic used in grafting apple and pear.

raffia to tie and use mastic to isolate the area.

2 Likes

I assumed that Temflex would expand and disintegrated on its own. Not always. Wrapping grafts tightly like I did esp.on small scionwood, it could girdle the grafts union. Lesson learned.

On my vigorous grafts like pear grafts, Temflex split open with no issue.

I am back to use green garden tape for smaller scionwood next year. It is much easier to cut off. I don’t graft that many. Time consuming but is not a big issue.

Today, I spent time removing Temflex from my all grafts. Not an easy task.

2 Likes

Matrix - thanks. Is it the pressure or the moisture? Do you know? Or just bad alignment of scion and stock?

no, it is not a problem caused by humidity or pressure, at a forum of my country was discussed for a long time on the subject, there were many people who argued that the problem was the glue that brings the tape, but is not I did some different tests and the problem is isolation.

or pear trees and apple trees bear the isolation more than 2 or 3 months we can engraft using plastic tape but before 2 or 3 months we must untie the graft and re-tie with a material that does not isolate, after two months the wounds are already healed and no need to isolate the graft, we simply have to have it tied up a little to no pressure and good healing.

an easy test that can be done in some electrician’s tape in 2 branches of an apple tree, at 2 or 3 months we remove one of the tapes and everything will be fine, the other tape we remove the 4 or 5 months liar and we’ll see how those bumps have been formed

3 Likes

But the lumps have no long term consequence. In a couple years they disappear.

3 Likes

if they disappear, I even have cut (if not the most correct or not), with good scissors that cut well have cortudo these warts and I let the wound heal

Did it again! My one year old whips I always leave but these larger trees a couple of months is really to long! The photos below are a farmingdale pear that’s a great example.

3 Likes

Just use rubber electric tape and it will stretch. It’s funny how peaches seem to not get girdled no matter how quickly they grow- they can stretch vinyl no problem.

2 Likes

Here is my solution to wind. 40+mph isnt uncommon in ND…

Best use for chopsticks I have found, damn things are useless for eating in my hands… :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I tied an unstable apricot graft with white flashing tape and I’m trying to decide when to take it off myself. I’m probably going to wait till September, but honestly I’m not too sure. That fine line between making sure it is stable vs girdling it.

2 Likes