Show us your canned produce

I just started canning for the first time this year! Glad this thread was resurrected; lots of good information. I have a ceramic top electric stove which is apparently not safe to do pressure canning on, so we bought a Presto electric canner and I was thrilled to be able to “put up” some green beans this year. Here is some apricot pepper jelly (recipe from the Ball Book).

5 Likes

Okra… canned for frying.

And a Quart of dried and vac/sealed mockernut hickory nuts.

Tomatoes frozen in wide mouth pints…

Okra oven blanched… vac sealed frozen.

Frozen berries and low sugar chia jam.

4 Likes

Another 14 quarts of tomatoes, I picked about 45lb worth this morning and finished water bathing the last batch about 6pm.

My wife made some mixed veggie pickles yesterday. Mostly zucchini, cukes and a few green tomatoes from the garden along with some cauliflower and red onions we got from a food pantry. Ended up with 12 quarts of those, 4 were regular pickled, 8 bread and butter style.

We’ve done a lot of canning this year. Probably about done with it. Green beans are played out, but we still have some tomatoes left.

6 Likes

Haven’t gotten around to canning anything yet… and that will probably only be a few jars of pickled jalapenos and hot pepper jelly.
But, since I planted almost 100 pepper plants this year, I’ve got 'em running out of my ears. Have been chopping sweet peppers (bell, banana, Ajvarski, Stocky Red Roaster, etc.) and running them through the dehydrator. Small jar at right is pure Habanada

6 Likes

Here’s one to go with that thread where the poster was looking for apples that taste like Jolly Rancher candy…

6 Likes

Good one. Were those water bathed or pressure canned?? :grin:

I had a bushel basket of maters that weren’t processed Saturday, so I picked another 15 lb yesterday and spent most of the day processing them. Ended up with 12 quarts, didn’t finish until midnight.

I think we’ve canned a total 37qt of just tomatoes, 20 pints of salsa, and a few pints of juice.

My wife did 9 pints of sweet brine cauliflower and 3 pints of onions Sunday.

I think we are officially done canning for the year. All this canning has put us behind on other chores. Trying to catch up on laundry today.

We canned some cucumber relish and salsa over the weekend. Only about 5 pints each as we got a lot planted late this year, but this will be my first winter having something canned from the garden to eat so I’m thrilled.

1 Like

Congrats. It’s very satisfying to be able to grow, eat and preserve your own food, isn’t it? We’ve been doing it for 8 years now, always grateful to be able to store some food away, especially during these times. It brings some summer to the cold months when you can open a jar of fresh tomatoes, beans, pickles, relish, fruit, or whatever.

1 Like

Thanks! Its been very rewarding to go to my backyard “grocery store.” I love to grow things and growing things I can eat? Wow, doubly rewarding. Looking forward to visiting the pantry “grocery store” this winter :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, just when I thought we were done with tomatoes, we had a bunch more ripen this week. So my wife picked two basketfuls this morning of about 50lb total. We got 13 quarts out of them, which makes about 45qt out of about 245lb overall this year, along with 20 pints of salsa. I think I can say we won’t be canning anything else, even tho there’s more on the vines. Some of the 37 plants didn’t produce hardly any, so we got most of those 245lb from 30-32 plants.

1 Like

I put a vid on our Facebook page using the Victorio food mill with the salsa attachment. It’s much quicker than blanching, skinning, coring, and running it through a food processor, because it does it all in one step.

However it isn’t able to make as chunky salsa as a food processor. The onions and peppers have to be run through a food processor, so they can be made chunky, but the food mill won’t make the tomatoes as chunky. Still, it saves a ton of time.

We made 21 quarts of salsa this weekend and skimmed off 2 gal of tomato juice. The juice is excellent.

Here is the vid. You should be able to just click on the link.

Victorio salsa attachment | Some customers mentioned they have been making salsa with our tomatoes. This weekend we made salsa using our Victorio food mill with the salsa... | By Tubby Fruits | Facebook

4 Likes

I could hardly wait to open a can of my garden green beans, so I took the opportunity when a friend came over for dinner. Oh goodness, they were so good and it reminded me of winter dinners with my grandma. I’ve caught the canning bug and can’t wait to do even more next year!

Olpea, your post reminded me a tip I got from my aunt. I was saying how I wanted to make tomato sauce but all the steps leading up to it only seemed worth it when you had a whole bunch of tomatoes (which sadly I did not) and she said “oh, I never do all that.” She just cuts up tomatoes and throw them in the sauce pot and cooks it down, then uses an immersion blender. Brilliant! I did it many times over the summer - great use for too many cherry tomatoes - and while not as perfectly smooth as tomato sauce that has been milled, it was 10x better than anything you could get at a grocery store. I call that a win! :grin:

1 Like

Are they pickled or pressure canned?

I love pickled green beans. They’re much better than cucumbers to me.

1 Like

I canned and froze a lot of okra this year… we have tried some already that we froze and it was very good (keto fried).

Also froze lots of berries… and low sugar chia jam. The black raspberry jam is ohhh sooo good.

The frozen berries and okra are vacuum sealed and frozen. The okra was oven blanched then frozen… then packed in jars and vac sealed.

I am sure we will eat it all b4 next summer.

1 Like

Mine are pressure canned but pickled sounds delicious!

1 Like

Wow, impressive! I need to start growing berries. I did plant some strawberries this year.