Мягкосемянный Розовый (Soft seeded Pink) Pomegranate

absolutely.

Now go look at the accession numbers for both!

Garnet Sash : DPUN 45 and DPUN 88, aka Elf. Gissarskii Rosovyi is DPUN 107.

Is that what you were asking for?

1 Like

Good work! Now I have confidence that some folks here can solve these inconsistencies on their own :smile: :smile:

This also tells me that somewhere in the last decade DWN started using a different accession for Garnet Sash.

No worries, I recently found I had successfully rooted a Key Lime cutting for the first time, after purchasing a stronger rooting hormone and leaving it in a plastic bag humidity dome for three months. If the pomegranate roots by that time or before as long then I’m happy. Rooted a chrysobalanus icaco cutting also.

1 Like

Fruit on its way!

3 Likes

Nearly all my pomegranates did this, this year - bloom in a “circle”, progressively. And, bloomed early. South/west sides of the bushes had blooms. Now, I’m seeming MORE blooms on the north/east side. Still setting flower buds right now, in fact. If only I can get some fruit set this year. Looks like I might have some Red Angel. And always Wonderful. Richard, have a question about ‘Kashmir Blend’. I am assuming this is just a DWN name. Do you know the real cultivar name for that pomegranate by chance? I would like to find your Myagkosemyannyi (Garnet Sash). I bet our local nurseries probably have it. Going to check Green Thumb, El Plantio and Walter Andersen.
Patty S.

1 Like

Yes, and apparently they’ve switched the accession in use over the years. So check with Tom Spellman for an update.

To my knowledge Myagkosemyannyi Rosovyi is NOT “Garnet Sash”.

If you’d like hardwood cuttings of M. Rosovyi then I’d be happy to supply them when you’re able to stop by.

Gosh, that would be great, Richard, I would love that. I believe I have the real Parfianka (Rolling River Nursery). I have not started pomegranates, so I’m going to have to check to see how to start them.

Patty S.

I’ve rooted them many times and happy to give you instruction and materials.

1 Like

You’re fantastic, Richard, thanks! I’ll see if I can sneak away tomorrow morning. Have the day off in preparation for a big family hoohah on Sunday.

Richard,

Why is it futile to train them as trees? Because they constantly sucker or there’s disadvantages to it?

In my climate, the constant maintenance due to suckering and new branch growth below what would be considered the first crotch. OK, maybe the first few years it is relatively easy but 5 years most homeowners around here give up.

1 Like

I’m growing Myagkosemyannyi Rosovyi in zone 7b but this is my first year with it along with about 10 other new ones this year. here are some cuttings I rooted this spring from about 20 different cultivars

5 Likes

Hi Daniel,

Are you rooting direct in those white Bags or are they covering pots to reflect the heat? What type are they and how long have they stood up for you?

Thanks

Hello strudeldog it’s been a long time huh? I’m glad Scott told me about this site, I really like it. The cuttings where rooted directly in the grow bags that you see. They are gallon size HTG grow bags. I like the white a lot better than the black. Last year a lot my cuttings suffered from the roots getting too hot in the black bags and these white ones make a huge difference.

3 Likes

Yes, Been awhile

Looks like you have been busy. I planted out all my Poms last summer, had an easy winter 12F compared to prior couple so not a big test, but still about 4 cultivars of the around 30 set back. How long do you think one of those bags would last?

We also had some dieback this past winter but I think we didn’t go below 14F this year compared to 9F in 2014. My biggest problem was the late hard frost we had this year. I lost a lot of fruit because of it on many different things.

First ripe fruit of the season :smiley:

7 Likes

Five 1 1/4 pounders. About 15 more still ripening on the bush.

13 Likes