Мягкосемянный Розовый (Soft seeded Pink) Pomegranate

I had very few fruits after the pruning, although I’m very happy with the structure of the plant now.

1 Like

The local CRFG chapters now require individual labeling. It’s an easy process with zip tags.

Calron,
I agree! I don’t know if I’d have the courage to do that . . . Or follow the instructions, ‘Once your tree arrives, cut it back to one third its size!’ (I love that one!) But, I know that is what ‘gets you where you want to go’ . . . so I get a strong drink . . . and ‘do it’!
Karen A.K.A. KikiVA

2 Likes

Mine is about 5’ tall, but only .625 trunk dia, and just starting to swell with buds, I don’t think I have enough alcohol to zap it this year lol

2 Likes

Well . . . . people share plant materials all the time, here, through the mail. I will send you a bottle! (just kidding!) Cheers!

1 Like

One pruned pomegranate. Notice the plant has not yet jettisoned all of last year’s leaves.

Yes, pomegranate twigs end in spikes!

4 Likes

All leafed out now :slight_smile:

4 Likes

First flowers of the season

6 Likes

I finished “hemming the skirt” on our pomegranate today and can verify once again that long-sleeve shirts are of no help with pomegranate “thorns”. It’s totally worth it though.

9 Likes

Thank you, Richard, for posting all the photos at each seasonal stage of pruning and growth on your pomegranate tree. I was considering a drastic pruning like that on one of my pomegranates but was unsure how it would look a couple years down the road or if I would loose a year’s crop.

2 Likes

Oh hi HH! I bought a Spice Zee Nectaplum after looking at your website. Nice to see you here!

Hi Bleedingdirt! I am glad you remember me. I hope it was a good choice for you. It is my neighbor’s favorite fruit tree.

I read a lot of the posts and seeing the photos here at growingfruit, and check in often, but never post. I do learn a lot. I especially enjoy seeing Richard’s posts about his trees and their progression. I grow a few of the same variety of plants he does. And some others he has grow across the street at my neighbor’s.

2 Likes

Sounds like you are near Lakewood Blvd in LB or Downey. I lived in the area during the '70s. You know, the famous “Suebelle” White Sapote cultivar is from there too.

I didn’t know that Suebelle was from around here. I’ll ask a couple of my local CRFG friends if they are growing it.

1 Like

The wholesale grower LaVerne propagates Suebelle. It is typically available in southern CA nurseries around April.

Hey, Richard! How’d you get a photo of my arm??? :grin:

I get all scratched up - and my hair gets caught in the branches - every time I try to crawl under the bushes and trim away unwanted ‘wood’.
I am ‘itchin’ to get out there and do some surgery on my poms. We had 70 degree weather this week in ‘crazy Virginia’. But . . . today it’s back down to 39. I am going to wait till end of Feb, I think. Don’t want to encourage tender growth that might get zapped by a late blast of arctic air.

I don’t know if you remember . . . but I planted 18 different varieties of poms, last spring. Thus far . . . only one appears to have died. But, I think that was because the nursery shipped a very mature one - a Grenada - and it never ‘took’ in its new spot. All the others seem to be in good shape. Can’t wait to see how they look, come spring!

Yours look amazing . . . as usual! :+1:

1 Like

I’m not positive . . . but you may be surprised, Hanbury . . . because poms fruit on new growth. Sometimes cutting them way back - does the trick - to encourage blossoms. That’s been my experience, at least.

1 Like

Side branches weeping down on neighboring plants from the weight of blossoms …

5 Likes

Is your Pom already blooming? Mine is out of control putting out growth by the inches per week, but no blooms, yet.

@Calron, I’ll guess yours is just a few weeks behind mine.

1 Like