Solo sprayer for Surround? Your opinion, please!

Mamuang,

I’ve never sprayed Surround, so I don’t know how any of them perform in that regard.

My only contribution is that whatever you choose to buy, you might want to consider looking on Ebay before you buy it.

For higher dollar items, I look there first. I bought an SP backpack years ago on ebay and saved about $100 I think. It was brand new but the box was damaged.

You can’t always find stuff like that on ebay, but it’s always worth a look before you pull the trigger. Be careful of used stuff. Used stuff can be a minefield. Some stuff can be pretty good. Other stuff is worn out and people are just looking to dump it.

Olpea,

Thank you for your advice. Will check it out.

1 Like

Just want to update my choice of sprayer. We took a 1.5 hour trip to Oesco.in Conway, MA.

The sales lady, Suki, was very helpful. They have Solo and Jacto sprayers on display. The lady suggested another brand that I have never heard of, Osatu, from Spain. She said she has heard good feedback from several customers and one of her co-workers. They pulled one from the warehouse for me to look at.

Osatu’s design is like Jacto’s with the pump piston and wand connection on the top. I found the Osatu much more comfortable to carry on my back than the heavier, cumbersome Solo design. The materials used for the wand, pump, and pump handle seemed to be good quality, the wand was a couple of inches longer than Jacto’s and the Osatu sprayer weighed 1.5 lbs less, too.

I put it to use today. The shoulder straps fit me much better than my old Chapin (same style as Solo). it comes with a pressure regulator and, set on Low Pressure, pumping was easy. Set on High pressure, I really struggled to pump.

I am happy with it… It costs about $120, $20 more than Jacto. Don’t ask me about Solo. No comparison.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Thanks for the update! I have a few questions. Is it 4 gallon? Does it have an agitator? Does agitator work all the time or only when you pump? (Updated: agitator, not activator).

Stan,
It is a 4 gallon backpack sprayer. Is an activator the same as an agitator? It has an agitator inside. I don’t know what an activator is.

When adjusted to Low Pressure, I do not have to pump all the time.
When adjusted to High Pressure, I have to pump each time I spray but the stream shoots out several yards ( good cover for tall trees) but causing sore muscles.

1 Like

Sorry, my mistake, I meant an agitator, yes. Is it powered by pumping?

Yes. Less resistance when adjusted to a low pressure setting. It is enough to cover my 8-10 ft trees with me standing on the ground.

Much harder to pump when adjusted to a high pressure setting. However, you can easily cover 15 ft tall trees with this setting. You will need to pump each time you spray. I am not physically strong. A strong person probably can pump on a high pressure setting with little to no issue.

I did not buy a wand extension because my trees are all under 12ft tall.

It comes with a measuring cup and a strainer. I has no problem spraying Surround when I use a strainer.

I personally would pick either Jacto or Osatu but after comparing them side by side, Osatu was worth spending extra $20 for.

4 Likes

Stan,
I had a chance to take a pic of my holiday gift (to myself) this morning.

It looks good and has worked well so far. It took 3 gals of lime-sulfur, oil and Nufilm mix to spray 20 trees (not counting 10 very small ones).

5 Likes

Tippy,

Very cool sprayer. Please keep commenting on it as you use it. From the pic it looks well built.

Also couldn’t help noticing the Hibachi. My father-in-law bought one of those in the 60s in Japan. It made the best cooked meat. It finally fell apart after several decades. My wife has wanted one every since, but they are like 700 bucks around here.

I don’t know what it is about those cookers, but the meat takes on a very delicious taste.

Thank you! Looks very nice!

Olpea,
The grill always has attracted attention. When we used to have yard sales, we could count on at least one person to ask about, or even offer to buy, it. It is a Kamado and we have had it for 18 years. My husband says the company is no longer in business but the grills are still around, sort of. A new company, Komodo Kamado makes an updated version. Some of them are stunning. You can find those at https://komodokamado.com/ We have one of those too. (pic to follow). Hubby says Big Green Eggs work well and can usually be found on Craigslist at reasonable prices. Also, if you are a member, Costco has sold Vision grills, Classic series, seasonally, for a few years. The last one or two of the season (July) often sell for as low as $400. Found here: https://www.visiongrills.com/

PS My husband says that KomodoKamado is run by Art Linkletter’s grandson, Dennis.
PPS My husband assures me that he did NOT pay that much for a Komodo Kamado.

The 2nd one, bought many years ago but has not been used yet.

5 Likes

Back on the sprayer. So far, so good. Much more comfortable to use and carry around than the Solo-type style. The real test is next year when I use it to spray with Surround :slight_smile:

I bet it will do very well!

All we need is a picture of you or your hubby using it :wink:

He won’t do any spraying for me but he can cook so I am not complaining!!

2 Likes

Looks like a cousin of Rtoo Dtoo

1 Like

Can we just start a thread for Komodo grills. I need tips. I cant get the temps to hold on my chargriller akorn

I consulted my chief griller. He said he could help with what he knows.

The problem is I don’t know which category I should post about this grill on.

@Olpea, where shoud a Komodo topic be posted? I do not want to post it in Lounge because new menbers cannot see it. We have a lot of new members. Some of them may be Komodo grillers.

1 Like

I think it could go under the category of “Using Fruit”. After all, fruit and/or vegetables can also be cooked in the cooker (along with meat, as a whole supper meal). I think it could fall under that category. Folks have posted about grilling peaches in the General Forum.

1 Like